Question

Honor Student
sstrangee
Message 1 of 12 (2,970 Views)

Upgrade CPU in 1273cl?

I would like to upgrade the CPU in 1273cl that I just bought.

Is it possible to upgrade the CPU in this model?  If so, what are some of the CPUs that are available for this model?

Second, I don't want to void the warranty, so to upgrade this laptop to another CPU... How would that be done?

Thanks.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 12 (2,974 Views)

Re: Upgrade CPU in 1273cl?

If you want your warranty you cannot touch the processor.

You have the T6400 Core 2 Duo with the 45nm process and theoretically the unit could be ugraded to another faster processor in the same family (Penryn) with the same fsb speed (800 mhz). But it is a big job and very expensive. The cpu alone would likely cost well over  $350 and labor for the processor upgrade would be another couple hundred...it is a fairly big job with a high chance of mucking it up if you do not know what you are doing (and some chance even if you do). 

You are almost always better off to sell your laptop and buy one with the processor (or graphics card) you really want. 

Honor Student
sstrangee
Message 3 of 12 (2,966 Views)

Oh, I would never do it myself.

I was just wondering if this option was available if I wanted to take it to a HP authorized shop to do the upgrade

I understand the price of the CPU and there might be a labor charge for the upgrade.

I understand the process that is in it is a L2 2mb.  I don't know much about the CPU side of computers, but would upgrading to something like a T7500 or similar (L2 4mb) give me any increase in overall processing speed? (If the price of the chip and labor isn't over the top).

Thanks. 

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 12 (2,958 Views)

It is kind of a moot point. No authorized HP shop would do the upgrade. It is just not in the list of services they provide.They would never do something to the laptop that would void the warrranty.

Yes a processor with a faster clock speed would be faster and even one with the same clock speed and a bigger L2 cache would be faster, but the additional benefit would not be worth the extra cost. 

You would not see a huge difference going from a 2 ghz with a 2 meg cache to a 2.2 ghz with a 4 meg cache. In order to get a very noticeable difference you would have to go to something like a T7800 at 2.6 ghz. 

Tutor
lionman
Message 5 of 12 (2,209 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a very possible upgrade. I just did it myself, although it was fairly tricky. The chipset used on this machine is compatible with all the 45nm C2D cpu's so take your pick. Probably take a quad too but heat might be an issue here. These are socket 'M' CPU's if I recall.

I bought a second hand T9400 (2.53GHz 6MB Cache 1066MHz FSB) from ebay for $140US.

Downloaded the service manual from the HP website and the surgery began!

It was actually fun for me but I pull apart everything I own. To change the CPU in the DV7's involves completely disassembling the laptop. This includes removing the drivers, the screen, the top and bottom covers, removing the motherboard and finally removing the heatsink. All up around fifty screws I think. the switch cover where the on/off switch is is quite tricky to unclip.

The temps of my machine are much better now as I used a quality thermal interface material, not the cheap crap HP uses in the factory. Cooler, quieter, faster, better. I sold on the T6400 too so all up the upgrade cost me around $70US

This did void my warranty, but as this was a refurbished machine from the US (I'm in Australia) I'm skeptical HP would give me any warrant anyway.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Message Edited by lionman on 10-20-2009 01:25 AM
Intern
mazmorbid
Message 6 of 12 (1,923 Views)

How would HP know that someone upgraded the CPU? I mean I have a DV7-2173cl with a P7350 and I just picked up a Q9100 pretty cheap, the DV7 model I have does come out with a Q9100, will the serial number be a big giveaway with HP?

Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 12 (1,909 Views)

A. I don't think the Quad will work on that motherboard; and; B. HP would know if you opened the laptop to do anything to it. Even the best tech can't help but leave telltale signs that the laptop caing has been opened. Trust me, that is the first thing they check before doing any warranty work...has the laptop been opened by anyone?

Intern
mazmorbid
Message 8 of 12 (1,899 Views)

Yeah it is meant to support a Q9100, a guy at work has one and I checked the specs, but I have put it in and it doesn't work :smileysad:

Intern
mazmorbid
Message 9 of 12 (1,892 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well I just checked the part numbers from a core2duo DV7 to a quad core DV7 and they say "Core2Duo only" and "Quad Core only" .. what junk is this HP? My first and I guess last .. shame as I was really liking it ..

Provost
Huffer
Message 10 of 12 (1,883 Views)

I think you have 2 different motherboards there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation