WHERE TO FIND HEX SCREWDRIVERS TO REMOVE HARD DRIVE ? (4548 Views)
Top Student
wwwpirate
Message 1 of 5 (4,548 Views)

WHERE TO FIND HEX SCREWDRIVERS TO REMOVE HARD DRIVE ?

[ Edited ]

Compaq Presario Notebook C571NR

Need to find precision hex screwdriver to remove hard drive enclosure from my laptop. Need to change hard drive.

Can someone send me link where I can buy them. Tried local Radio Shack/Walgreens precision tools - don't work. Regular hex screwdrivers I can find are too big.

Also if someone from HP is reading this can you tell me why are you screwing customers.

Can someone send me e-mail / address of CEO I want to tell him what I think about these practices. GM tried this 30 yrs ago and here they are.

Message Edited by wwwpirate on 04-02-2009 01:05 PM
Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 5 (4,539 Views)

Re: WHERE TO FIND HEX SCREWDRIVERS TO REMOVE HARD DRIVE ?

The only thing required to remove a hard drive on that unit is a phillips screwdriver.  Are you actually trying to take the hard drive apart?  This tool will show you how to properly remove the hard drive (or any other parts you wish to remove).

PS - you can pick up the hex (or star) drivers from Home Depot or Lowes.
Top Student
wwwpirate
Message 3 of 5 (4,527 Views)

[ Edited ]

NO NO NO

that is why i am complaining and want CEO to know abt that

whole hard drive enclosure is so engineered that only special hex screwdriver  can remove it - nothing to do with philips screws - philips screws are only used to remove rest of notebook enclosure and whole hard drive removal relies on 2 tiny hex crews that are deliberately engineered so customers can't do it and they need to go to hp dealer

WHEN I WENT TO BUY MY LAPTOP IN BEST BUY THERE WERE 4 OTHERS THERE - I DID CHOOSE HP AND HP SHOULD APPRECIATE THAT 

I PAID IT AND I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE ANY MORE MONEY TO HP 

I CAN FIX IT MYSELF - I HAVE BEEN IN COMPUTER SINCE COMMODORE 64

THAT IS SAME FAILED TACTICS USED BY GM BEFORE - WE WILL DO THINGS SO WE CAN MILK CUSTOMERS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE - NOW YOU SEE WHERE GM IS

no home depot/loews hex scredrivers are to big for 2 small hex crews on my hard drive enclosure

that link is just useless

Message Edited by wwwpirate on 04-02-2009 01:59 PM
Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 4 of 5 (4,521 Views)

Sorry, the link didn't work..they must have changed it.

I've replace many hard drives from this series, there's nothing more than taking off the top cover and then sliding the hd forward and lifting it out.  No offense, but the fact that you can't get it to work doesn't mean a thing.  Perhaps you should take it to a professional if you can't get it out.
Provost
banhien
Message 5 of 5 (4,484 Views)

wwwpirate wrote:

whole hard drive enclosure is so engineered that only special hex screwdriver  can remove it - nothing to do with philips screws -

Message Edited by wwwpirate on 04-02-2009 01:59 PM

Well, I don't think HP produces HDD for their machines inculding laptops. Reading thry your message, looks like you are really a pro, removing those screws would definitely kill the HDD.

BH

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation