Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I own a Presario CQ60-118EL. When I updated to Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) moths ago, everything went well, till some days ago, the webcam just stopped working: it is no more recognized and it is listed as "Unknown Device".

I looked everywhere to find the drivers to install, but I didn't find anything yet.

Can anyone please help me?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try this web cam driver

HP Recommended

Here is the path for the webcam driver C:\Windows\system 32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

You will need to Right click on the Unknown device, Click update driver software and point it to above path...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

@alt_164 wrote:

Hi,

Try this web cam driver

I tougth this was not a driver but just an application which uses the webcam, to take pictures and video and apply some effetcs, isnt it?

Moreover I can not even install this as long as installation process stops saying that there's no webcam installed on my PC...

@Cyclops wrote:

Here is the path for the webcam driver C:\Windows\system 32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

You will need to Right click on the Unknown device, Click update driver software and point it to above path...

I already tried to do that, as I found this solution in HERE. But when the webcam is recognized ad "Unknown device", it is under "USB Controllers" section of the devices, and not under "Imaging devices", so when I try to manually pick the driver, the "Microsoft > USB Video Device" is not in the list.

Moreover I noticed that "sometimes" the webcam is again recongnized, and it works properly. Then it appears a popup on the bottom-right corner of the screen, saying it's no more recognized. Both this things happens even if I'm not doing anything at the PC in that particular moment...

Now I'm really confused...

BTW, is there any specific driver which is provided by HP specifically for my notebook model's webcam instead of "usbvideo.sys"? I think it should be "webcam 101", but not sure.

HP Recommended

Hmmm, interesting... So we are looking at Webcam getting disconnected and connected back on its own...What that be a better way to put the issue....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

After doing some more tests I noticed this:

- If I put my notebook in "suspension" and I leave it for about 5-10 minutes, when going back to windows the default "Microsoft > USB Video Device" driver seems corectly installed, and the webcam wroks.

- If I restart the computer, the device is set as "Unknown Device", and the webcam doesnt work anymore.

When the webcam was working this morning I installed YouCam software, but the problem was not fixed (I new it was not a "driver" but at least I tried). Moreover I was able to verify that my webcam is "HP Webcam-101".

So I think I need a specific driver for that, which is surely not the "usbvideo.sys", which, as I said, I'm not even able to install because if I select "C:\Windows\inf" directory (you can choose only the directory, not the driver itself) to manual install the driver, the "unknown.inf" is selected instead of the "usbvideo.inf", so nothing changes.

HP Recommended

From what you are describing, it is not driver issue but USB issue. The webcam is connected to USB header on the systemboard...The USB power management is suspending the webcam, but not able to wake it up again...

I would suggest going to USB Root Hub and Uncheck "Allow the Computer to turn of this device to save power" on all hubs and check....

All HP notebooks use the usbvideo.sys driver only...

HP Recommended

I'll tried by unchecking "Allow the Computer to turn of this device to save power" for all USB Root Hubs, then I set my notebook in "suspension". After 5 minutes I went back to windows and, as I said before, the driver was installed properly and the webcam was working.

Then I rebooted the PC and it was, as always, recognized as Unknown Device... :Crying:

HP Recommended

Can I get info on the OS and BIOS version on notebook? plus a screenshot of device manager...and can you give some background when did the issue start, etc...

HP Recommended

@Cyclops wrote:

Can I get info on the OS and BIOS version on notebook? plus a screenshot of device manager...and can you give some background when did the issue start, etc...

Sure. These are Product Informations:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01666504

BIOS version is: F.31 (checked with HP Assistant)

The problem started about two weeks ago. I made a clean install of the OS three days ago, and right after install i checked Device Manager, and there was the "Unknown Device" so it cannot come from any installation of something else.

Here it is a screenshot (sorry, it is partially in Italian language):

Do you need any other information?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.