Question

Honor Student
Tonyyyyyyy
Message 1 of 5 (3,378 Views)

What happened to the 32-bit computers?

I was browsing for a computer today, since my sister's old Toshiba laptop broke down, and I decided to look into HP for her.

I was going to tell her to get the G60t, but then I realized that the only type they had for the G60t was the 64-bit (Windows 7 64-bit)

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate CD, but it's 32-bit only, so I was wondering if HP was still selling 32-bit computers?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 5 (3,382 Views)

Re: What happened to the 32-bit computers?

Netbooks and computers with Celeron processors are still 32 bit in the sense that they cannot run a 64 bit operating system. But these days just about any mainstream computer is capable of running a 64 bit operating system because the processor is compatible with 64 bit code. It is funny you should bring this up because just today, after running Windows XP 32 bit for years, I decided to clean install Vista 64 bit on my personal laptop I use for work. I have been trying out and experimenting with 64 bit operating systems for several years, starting with 64 bit XP and also 64 bit versions of Linux. I have been waiting until the time is right to move my primary Windows machine to 64 bit and I made the move to 64 bit Vista because that will allow an easy upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 in a few days. The problem with 64 bit until recently was an absence of drivers and compatible software, which is just no longer an issue. If you can go 64 bit, do it. Only with a 64 bit OS can you use over 3 gigs of memory and 64 bit code just runs faster and smoother and more stable. You can still put 32 bit Windows on a machine that could run 64 bit but why?
Honor Student
Tonyyyyyyy
Message 3 of 5 (3,352 Views)

So, HP has made the 64-bit jump already?

There won't be anymore 32-bit computers?

I just want 32-bit cuz some drivers aren't compatible.  

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (3,327 Views)

The 64 bit jump was a long time ago, on the hardware. The first mass market 64 bit processor (in recent times-not the Commodore64 from the 70s) was from AMD in late 2003. Right now probably 90% of consumer computers are made with processors that could run a 64 bit operating system. But here's the good news for you. Those 64 bit computers can still run a 32 bit version of the operating system with no performance penalty. A 64 bit OS runs a bit faster but a 64 bit processor runs a 32 bit OS jjust fine. When you order from HP or whoever, ask if they will not install 32 bit Windows or send you a recovery disk that can install a 32 bit version. Both Vista and Windows 7 let you choose right at the beginning of installation if you want 32 bit or 64 bit. I also think you will find that 64 bit drivers are available for all recent hardware. If you absolutely must run an old printer or scanner that might cause a problem, I agree.
Tutor
sparky1
Message 5 of 5 (851 Views)

why use 32 bit rather than 64 bit ?

64 bit is a memory hog

it is stable yes but some think it's slower than 32 bit.

it's all in what people want to use.

i have a laptop with 64 bit and one with 32 bit both work good but starting them both up at the same time 32 bit starts up faster.

and with my older games 32 bit works better.

with my newer games 64 bit works better.

it is all in what people like and if they are happy with what they are using then they should use it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation