Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I have the Elitebook 8540w with the i5 processor and windows 7 Pro. I bought two 8gb cards to upgrade the ram, but can only find one slot with a ram stick in it. 

The manual says there are two slots for ram and it can be upgraded to 16gb. But the installation video only shows one slot under the keyboard. I figured there would be another slot somewhere once I opened it up and removed the keyboard. But there isn't. I also opened the compartment in the bottom where other laptops store their ram and there wasn't a slot.  My computer says there are 4gb ram installed on the computer. The one stick I did find was only 2gb, which means there is another 2gb stick somewhere. Does anyone know where and how to get at it? Thank you very much.

Best,

Jeremy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is not the problem.

The problem is due to your mobile workstation having the i5 processor --  it only supports 2 x 4 GB of memory.

You have to have the i7 quad core in order for the PC to support 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Please refer to the link below, page 7, double asterisk.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13529_ca/13529_ca.PDF

I quote: 

** 8 GB SODIMMs are only supported on quad-core processors.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Jeremy:

Below is the link to the service manual for your mobile workstation.

In addition to the memory module under the keyboard, there is an expansion memory module on the bottom of the PC.

Please read chapter 4 starting on page 60 for the expansion memory module R & R procedure.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.proc...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I installed the RAM. Now it won't start up. I get an error. I just noticed that my new memory are 8gb, 1600 mhz sticks. The manual says it supports 2gb and 4gb sticks at 1600 mhz, but 8 gb sticks at 1333 mhz. Could that be the problem or does it usually just only go up to 1333 mhz and not take advantage of the fact that it is 1600 mhz?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is not the problem.

The problem is due to your mobile workstation having the i5 processor --  it only supports 2 x 4 GB of memory.

You have to have the i7 quad core in order for the PC to support 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Please refer to the link below, page 7, double asterisk.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13529_ca/13529_ca.PDF

I quote: 

** 8 GB SODIMMs are only supported on quad-core processors.

HP Recommended
OK, thank you. I guess 8gb will have to do as I'm not feeling confident installing a new CPU.
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Unfortunately, you just can't install a supported quad core processor in your notebook.

You would need to change the motherboard too.

Different motherboards are used in the 8540w (and other notebooks) for dual and quad core processors.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.