Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
compaq presario cq62
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the RAM for my husbands Compaq Presario CQ62.  It currently has 2GB and I would like to increase it to 4GB. I am trying to determine the exact model so I can purchase the correct RAM upgrade.  I do not have the original box.  I do have the the product number information WQ778UA#ABA.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The easiest way to tell which RAM to get is to run this system scanner from Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

I checked you manual and it's not clear if you have DDR2 or DDR3, but here are screen shots of the difference.

DDR2.PNG

DDR3.PNG

Try to match up the same speed and brand name, but it's not that important like it used to be.

I'm guessing that you present one is 1066 Mhz, which is very common.

Don't put something slower in there as it will "bottle neck" the faster stick. it will still work, but the RAM will slow to the lesser speed of the two sticks.

You will have two slots and I am also guessing that one slot is being used with a 2GB stick rather then both slots being filled with 2, 1GB sticks.

If you're want to know more there should be an HP part number right on the RAM ending in 001, if you give me that part number, I should be able to tell you exactly what it is.

You can also Google that part as well to find out.

The biggest difference is DDR2 and DDR3 and as you can see the sockets are totally different, so that has to be correct.

Also, according to your specs it will support 8GB, but 4 will be plenty. If you put in 8GB in there, you will have trouble finding an application to even put a dent in that much RAM.

Anything that uses that much RAM will overload the processor, eg, gaming.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-CQ62-200-Notebook-PC-series/4149939/model/422103...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.