Question

Student
Mangocrazy
Message 1 of 2 (5,337 Views)

Why No FireWire Port In HP Laptops

Initially, I went to the HP Website and configured a LapTop - hoping to see the FireWire option. I tried several models and nothing. Finally, I chatted with an HP sales individual and they stated that FireWire is not offered.

I am in the market for a Laptop, but I need a FireWire Port. Last night , I Googled this requirement and discovered that if you have an Express Card Slot, that you can purchase an Express Card with FireWire Ports. There appears to be several

manufacturers offering this product.

I would prefer a machine with the FireWire port built in instead of having to purchase an accessory.

Is the Express Card Slot an option when configuring an HP Laptop?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 2 (5,323 Views)

Re: Why No FireWire Port In HP Laptops

Likely not an option. The model either has expresscard or not. Only the real budget laptops would not have an expresscard slot. However, firewire and expresscard slots are becoming less common. In the day it was necessary to add many things to a laptop with pcmcia ports (the precursor of expresscard). The laptop pc card slot was the first real adventure in "plug and play". Now you have to be sure the laptop you buy has the ports you need. The small and medium business models are most likely to have firewire and expresscard slots. Consumer models tend to omit such things more frequently to save a few pennies per unit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation