Question

Tutor
Klondike_Bob
Message 1 of 29 (235,809 Views)

XP Drivers for Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221 - Do they exist?

I recently purchased a Compaq C776CA and installed XP Home SP3 in order to be comaptable with my software requirements.

Unfortunately the only drivers that I have been able to find for the sound chipset are Vista drivers, and that means that my microphone is not working.

Has anyone been able to overcome this?  Are there XP drivers available that I have not been able to discover?

Compaq Presario C776CA Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 3 GB DDR2 Ram
Windows XP SP3
Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221 Mobile Intel 965 Express Video Chipset
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 2 of 29 (235,805 Views)

Re: XP Drivers for Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221 - Do they exist?

[ Edited ]

It's probably on HP's site somewhere since I found it there once upon a time ago but it was easier to find with Google so just copy these files into a folder, I confirmed it's the same as I already had.

http://www.ubernet.co.uk/drivers/Compaq/A910EM/Audio/ConexantHDAudio%20221_XP/XP32/

The following might also be the right driver but I'm unsure of it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-47724-1&cc=us&lc=en&...

Message Edited by James_Cummins on 11-23-2008 10:13 PM
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 29 (235,796 Views)

Or try>>Conexant SmartAudio 221:
Unzip to a folder...use Device Manager.
From Device Manager,right click "Audio Device on High Def Bus",choose Update driver,
No to connect,
Install from a list or specific location,
Select Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install,
For the Hardware Type select 'Show All Devices'
Remove the check from "Show Compatible Hardware" and click on "Have Disk".
Next...browse to the unzipped folder and choose the "WiSVHe5.inf".
Ignore XP when it complains.
Reboot.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
Klondike_Bob
Message 4 of 29 (235,757 Views)

James ... thanks, but neither of your suggestions worked ... both gave me a "can't find specified device"-type of errors.

Windows XP SP3
Tutor
Klondike_Bob
Message 5 of 29 (235,822 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cheryl, I'm having problems fining the right entry on the Device Driver.  If I could figgure out how, I'd post a screenshot for you.

Could you give me a slightly more detailed description of what section I should look under in the device manager?  Under the "Sound, video and Game Controllers, I have the following:  Audio Codecs, Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Vedeo Codecs.  I tried replacing the driver you suggested with the Conexant entry and got a 'device not found'-type of error.

Any suggestions?

Message Edited by Klondike_Bob on 11-24-2008 10:59 AM
Windows XP SP3
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 6 of 29 (235,805 Views)

[ Edited ]
If you didn't yet install sp32646, the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver,  you will need to do that first.
After installing that, if I remember correctly the "Found New Hardware" wizard starts detecting the audio devices again, at which point you would point it to the folder those files are in.  When I get a chance I'll take a screenshot of what the Conexant HD audio looks like in XP's Device Manager once it's installed.  As far as I can remember, I did not have to manually go into Device Manager to get the audio working. 
If you suspect you may have the wrong driver assignments in Device Manager, you might try just deleting those entries and rebooting, then anything windows wants a driver for but can't find, try pointing the wizard to the files I linked first, or the one Cheryl linked (they are both the same driver).
Conexant HD Audio on XP
Message Edited by James_Cummins on 11-24-2008 12:05 PM
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 7 of 29 (235,758 Views)

[ Edited ]
I decided I wanted a multi-boot XP installation on a different laptop that also has Conexant HD Audio and had the same problem you did.
After I'd installed the MS UAA update linked above it detected new hardware as I described previously, then the driver both I and Cheryl linked just wouldn't work.  I rebooted, it still wouldn't work.
I dug through the rest of the files I had and came up with one that did work, SP34200.
It didn't require going into Device Manager, just running it did the trick.
With a hint from Gerard Kelly in the following topic I was also able to edit the original 221 driver file that both I and Cheryl linked and make it work.
The WiSVHe5.inf file contains a "[Conexant]" section that lists a device and subsystem ID that is different from that on the laptop I'm looking at.  By going into Device Manager and checking the Properties>Details of the Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus (still under "Other Devices" category before the driver is loaded), that Details tab in the Properties shows a Device Instance Id that is different, "DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30B7" is what it shows on this laptop so i pasted it in place of the other listings in that file before running setup.exe to install it.
Message Edited by James_Cummins on 11-24-2008 04:56 PM
Tutor
Klondike_Bob
Message 8 of 29 (235,544 Views)

[ Edited ]
well, thanks for your input, but nothing seems to be working ... In fact at one point my laptop had a blue screen incident ... that scared the crap outa me!
It seems that there is more involved than just the drivers.  There must be something that interacts with the drivers that is interfering.  Some other forums suggest that the problem may be caused by manufacturers having to comply with new copyright infringement legislation, and so deactivating the recording features of the sound chipsets.
All I can really say is thanks for your help, but nothing has changed.
Message Edited by Klondike_Bob on 11-24-2008 11:40 PM
Windows XP SP3
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 9 of 29 (235,522 Views)

[ Edited ]
In an old topic I dug up that it seems XP's SP3 needs an updated UUA driver, I don't know much about that issue but here's the link to it which you may need.
To clarify the rest of what we've covered, you didn't use the device ID I posted but used the one shown in the properties for yours and it still didn't find the device after having installed the MS UAA driver?  I might not have explained it well, some of the driver packages have a different "DEV_####" earlier in the same line which also needs changed, while others don't.
From the Vista Conexant Audio driver on your system's download page, I got this device & subsystem ID:
DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30D9
Unless HP is offering the wrong Vista driver for your system, this should be the one seen in Device Manager, the properties for the HD Audio device. 
If that is right in the INF file for any of these drivers we've linked, when you run the setup.exe it should find the audio device and install the driver.  Whether or not that device then works has a lot to do if it's the right driver, but it seems to be.  Google turned up a few references of others editing their INF file with the string yours seems to have.
Here's the 34200 driver with the above dev & subsys ID edited into it, try that.  At worst if it bluescreens the system just boot to safe mode and get rid of it in add/remove programs.

If it doesn't work I'd begin to wonder if part of the Intel chipset driver isn't installed, or if XP's SP3 is causing the problem but perhaps the above linked MS UAA file will take care of that.
As for the other drivers in their original form, based on the above DEV & SUBSYS numbers, if 5045 and 103C30D9 are correct, we can rule out the first driver both I and Cheryl linked as not possibly working (unless it's edited) since it lists a different pair of strings: DEV_5051&SUBSYS_103C30CD & DEV_5051&SUBSYS_103C30D6
The second driver I linked in my first post to sp35270 also won't work (again assuming the first DEV & SUBSYS #s above are right for your system), unless edited, because it lists DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30A5
Same for the original sp34200, it lists DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30B7 & DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30BB, but it seemed as close a match as any so it's the one that was edited and on mediafire.
Message Edited by James_Cummins on 11-25-2008 01:35 AM
Tutor
Klondike_Bob
Message 10 of 29 (235,340 Views)

[ Edited ]
Well, James ....it's still a no go. 
No blue screen, but after installing and restarting the system, then device is deactivated and in the Device Manager it says "This device is disables. (Code 22) Click Enable Device to enable this device."
When I click "Enable Device" ... I get "Windows successfully enabled this device, however the device is still not working properly."  When I click "Finish" the Found New Hardware Wizard starts up again.  After running through the installation of the new driver that you sent it tells me  "There was a problem installing this hardware : Conexant High Definition Audio.  Reinstall the drivers fo this device. (Code 18)"
Then the Hardware Update Wizard starts again ... it's a never ending loop.
I tried removing the two Conexant HD Audio programs listed in the Add/Remove programs listing then reinstalling the drivers.  I received the following message:
"Cannot Start this Hardware.  There was a problem installing this Hardware: Conexant High Definition Audio.  This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)"
Then the Hardware Update Wizard starts again ... back into the loop.
So to summarize:
I've installed the KB888111 service pack
I've tried to install the drivers as supplies in numerous updates
I've tried to install the edited drivers that I have edited myself, and the one that you supplied to me.
Results ... nothing good.  in fact with any of the drivers that I have tried, the audio chip set is unable to function.
I'm beginning to lose hope.
Message Edited by Klondike_Bob on 11-25-2008 01:43 PM
Windows XP SP3
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation