battery only charges when computer is off or in sleep (19007 Views)
Student
baows
Message 1 of 20 (19,007 Views)

battery only charges when computer is off or in sleep

My problem is the the following, I have a laptop ( hp pavillon zd8000) and the battery will only charge when the computer is turned of or if it is in sleep mode. once i turn the computer on the battery stops charging and computer uses the AC adaptor. my battery works finee i think because it charges to 100% and when I use the battery without the AC adapator my computer works fine for 2 hours. i have tried different batteries and different AC adaptor problem not solved. I sent my computer to HP and they have changed my motherboard and when i got my computer back it still had the same problem. what could it be?? can anyone help me??

hp pavillon zd8000

service tag: zd8410ea

s/n: cnf61309mh

Teacher
susoab1791
Message 2 of 20 (18,923 Views)

Re: battery only charges when computer is off or in sleep

umm the thing i can say is that the laptop is using alot of power and its using the power from the wall to still use the laptop well it happens to me when it gets

low on battery then i charge it it says pluged in ,not charging because im using alot of juice from the wall so once it slows down in processing it charges the battery im not sure 

the thing i would trying is not to do any thing and see if it charges or even update the bios

Top Student
New_to_HP
Message 3 of 20 (18,734 Views)

Hi,

Just looking through posts as I have exactly the same problem as you, with a Pavilion ZD8000 series (ZD8124ea).

It only charges the battery when the laptop is off and stops when the laptop is on.

Did you get to the bottom of the problem?  Any help would be useful, thanks.

Top Student
New_to_HP
Message 4 of 20 (18,657 Views)

Hi,

Can you please help?

What did you do to solve your problem as I haave exactly the same with this Pavilion ZD8000.

Thaanks.

PhD Student
wes_notebooks
Message 5 of 20 (18,653 Views)

New_to_HP,

What is the wattage of your AC Adapter?  135 watt or 180 watt?

-Wes

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
New_to_HP
Message 6 of 20 (18,649 Views)

Hi,

Its rated at 19v 7.1a.

The power unit is the one that came with it when purchased.

This behaviour has only started to occur within the last couple of months.

Just for info: The laptop will not boot up with the PSU connected, so the time that the laptop can be used is dependant on the level of charge of the battery.

What sort of thing could cause this behaviour of the laptop?

Thanks.

PhD Student
wes_notebooks
Message 7 of 20 (18,644 Views)

New_to_HP wrote:

Hi,

Its rated at 19v 7.1a.

The power unit is the one that came with it when purchased.

This behaviour has only started to occur within the last couple of months.

Just for info: The laptop will not boot up with the PSU connected, so the time that the laptop can be used is dependant on the level of charge of the battery.

What sort of thing could cause this behaviour of the laptop?

Thanks.

The voltage and amps are different than the wattage.  These are older notebooks but I recall that some models were shipped with 135 W adapters but needed 180 W to charge properly.  This type of problem can be caused by the adapter itself, the battery, the power invertor in the board, and possibly even the motherboard.  That's why i started with the adapter first.

-Wes

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
New_to_HP
Message 8 of 20 (18,634 Views)

Hi,

I will double check the wattage of the PSU.

As for the other items, I suppose its down to trying each one in turn?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Top Student
pavlovs-cat
Message 9 of 20 (18,454 Views)

I'm having a similar problem with my DV8000. I just purchased a new HP adapter. I have noticed that the jack is loose. Could be a problem with the internal connection. I will probably end up buying a new laptop. I don't think it will be another HP. I understand that this is a common issue.
Student
leviticus39
Message 10 of 20 (18,132 Views)

hi! for a while i thought my laptop (hp pavilion tx2675 touch) was broken because it would only charge the battery when turned off. (the laptop also wouldn't turn on with only ac adapter connected, battery taken out).-- very inconvenient since I can only use it for a limited time and then have turn it off and charge it again for a while before I can use it again.

After searching the internet for solutions, i figured out that it must be the ac adapter that's broken so I bought a new one, tested it in the store and it worked fine (the laptop would charge again when turned on, and would also work even without the battery and just the ac adapter connected.) When I got happily back home I tried it, but sadly the same problem exists. All other appliances plugged into the outlet work. I tried all the available outlets inside the apartment and all of them seem to work with other appliances and even another laptop. Also, I tried to unplug all other heavy appliances just in case they're draining all the available power and test the laptop again, still no go. So I looked for another outlet outside the apartment and found one to try near the elevator lobby. Surprisingly everything works fine in there! Also both the old and new ac adapters work with that outlet. So is there probably something wrong with the electrical circuit in the apartment? There would definitely be nothing wrong with my laptop then since it works with all other outlets except for those inside my apartment.

Help please! Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation