Question
battery only charges when computer is off or in sleep
Replies (20)

Student
marie012
Message 11 of 21 (6,958 Views)

Re: battery only charges when computer is off or in sleep

my notebook will only work when plug in. will not turn on using the internal battery power. when plug in, if i check the charging status, it says, 0% available, plugged in, not charging. whats my problem? could someone please help me?

Student
bluguitar89
Message 12 of 21 (6,398 Views)

Hey, I have a similar problem with my pavillion DV6700, but with a few funky details.

My problem arose yesterday and here are the symptoms I've gathered so far

1. The computer will only charge the battery when off or asleep

2. The computer will NOT run on AC alone, i.e. if I have the AC adapter plugged in and remove the battery the machine will not start.

3. With the computer running, it runs on battery alone.

4. If I plug in the AC, the battery icon in the taskbar will not indicate that it is plugged in, but lately it has a sort of flicker to it where it indicates only for a split second that it is plugged in, but will then return to the unplugged indicator, and it will go on doing that every second or so until I unplug the AC.

I have tried replacing the Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery driver as others have suggested, but it does not seem to solve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Top Student
New_to_HP
Message 13 of 21 (6,395 Views)

Sorry no luck I replaced a charger but gave up in the end!

Student
shehant
Message 14 of 21 (6,341 Views)

Has anyone discovered a solution to this problem? My HP dv7 is having the exact same difficulties as your computers.

Thanks,

Tutor
raballes7
Message 15 of 21 (5,327 Views)

Solution Found!!!

First off, I'd like to say that HP SUCKS.  It is ridiculous that many of you have wasted time and money to find a solution with absolutely no help from HP.  Do yourself a favor and take your business to another company.  OK, had to get that out of the way!

So here are the steps that worked for MY laptop:

Having your laptop running and plugged in, let the battery die at which time the screen will turn off.

Press the On/Off button until the laptop powers completely OFF.  Be sure to leave it plugged in.

Wait a few minutes.  You will notice that an orange light will turn on where the adaptor plugs in to the laptop.

Once this happens, wait a couple more minutes. 

Finally, power up your laptop.  You will notice that the power meter on the task bar will now read "Plugged In. Charging".  Your laptop is now charging while ON!

I really hope this works for you.  If it does and I saved you a headache and a few bucks, do something nice for someone!!!!

Honor Student
hippychick19694
Message 16 of 21 (4,689 Views)

wOw....this totally worked 4 me on the 1st try!! ty so very much!!! I will def do a kind deed in ur honor!!!

Honor Student
squeek78
Message 17 of 21 (3,187 Views)

This worked for me too! I was very reluctant to drain the battery for fear it would not work, but to my amazement-it did work! Thank you bunches..and yes, due to many problems will be avoiding hp products in the future for sure.
Student
dannyonci
Message 18 of 21 (1,905 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same thing here. Laptop runs fine when plugged in. When it's on, the laptop says plugged in, not charging. 

Laptop only charges when off or asleep. 

HP ENVY dv7-7292nr

Already bought a new battery, that did not work.

In regards to the latest "solution" on here - you cannot let the battery "die" and the "screen turn off" while it's plugged in. I will attempt to let the battery drain while not plugged in, then let it shut off, plug it back in, wait for orange light, then turn back on, but that solution seems totally crazy.

Why no help from HP on this?

Honor Student
PDC0625
Message 19 of 21 (1,210 Views)

Whether or not it seems crazy to you, this worked for some.  You told us how you planned to do it; did that method work for you or did you have to do soething else?

Tutor
raballes7
Message 20 of 21 (1,188 Views)

Actually, you can let the battery "die" and the "screen turn off" while the computer is plugged in. That was the problem MY computer had, that even though the computer was plugged in, it was not charging the battery. Therefore, when the battery was out of power or "died", the screen would turn off even though it was plugged in. Apparently, I wasn't the only one having this problem and I'm glad to see this solution helped a few others.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation