Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have acquired an hp pavilion g7-1017cl. Problem is, it wont boot up. During the boot up it occasionally gives a message about hibernation and overheating, but is working correctly...or so the message says. The num lock and caps lock LEDs also flash. Looks to be twice, then a pause (that cycle continues other than the message) the screen is black, but is lit during this process. No beeps. If I read correctly about the flashing LEDs, it looks like a BIOS problem, but im not sure.

Ive tired taking the RAM and the battery with no luck. Ive tore down the laptop and checked the CMOS battery and it was good. (The laptop is out of warranty).

I also took the HD out of the HP, put it in a different laptop and all it does is an infinite loop of reboots. I also have a spare HD with windows 8 on it and put that HD in the HP and it booted right up with no problems.

Ive also tried boot from a Linux live cd to try and access the HD from that but had no success.

Any suggestions is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello bsmcginnis,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how the caps lock and num lock continue to blink, that your computer will not boot up, and I would be happy to assist you in this endeavor!

To further diagnose the cause of the blinking lights, I recommend following this document on Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps. This resource should give a clearer indication as to why the notebook will not boot, and an explanation for the frequency of the blinking lights.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello bsmcginnis,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how the caps lock and num lock continue to blink, that your computer will not boot up, and I would be happy to assist you in this endeavor!

To further diagnose the cause of the blinking lights, I recommend following this document on Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps. This resource should give a clearer indication as to why the notebook will not boot, and an explanation for the frequency of the blinking lights.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Well,  I was able to fix the laptop.  I finally got a Linux Live cd to boot up (I forget to change it in the boot setting).  From there I had to open a termnal, mount up the hard drive and run a sudo command to remove a hiberfile from the hard drive. Afrer that I was able to get into the recovery console and factory restore the laptop 🙂 Works great now! 

Thanks for the reply! 

HP Recommended

Hello again bsmcginnis,

That is fantastic to hear!

So that others on the forum can review the conclusion we have come to on this thread, can I ask you to mark my post above as an accepted solution?

Thank you for providing your feedback! 🙂

Best Regards

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

WOW! This information made me understand something, and it is that I never knew before.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.