can I add more RAM to my HP pavilion dv7 notebook PC? (7472 Views)
Honor Student
linkofhyrule
Message 1 of 11 (7,472 Views)
Accepted Solution

can I add more RAM to my HP pavilion dv7 notebook PC?

Am new to laptops and was looking to boost its performance for gaming current RAM is 4 GB (3.48 GB usable) any help in telling me what higher RAM sizes might be compatiable would be greatly appreciated.

the following probably isn't needed but just in case its of any help here's some of my laptops other specs (system type 64 bit operating system), (processor AMD A63410MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 1.60 GHZ) using windows home premium.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 11 (7,454 Views)

Re: can I add more RAM to my HP pavilion dv7 notebook PC?

linkofhyrule wrote:

Am new to laptops and was looking to boost its performance for gaming current RAM is 4 GB (3.48 GB usable) any help in telling me what higher RAM sizes might be compatiable would be greatly appreciated.

the following probably isn't needed but just in case its of any help here's some of my laptops other specs (system type 64 bit operating system), (processor AMD A63410MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 1.60 GHZ) using windows home premium.

Since your operating system is 64-bit you can swap the installed memory for two 4GB modules. Be certain that you purchase only guaranteed compatible memory modules if you want it to work properly on the first boot up with the new modules. Is your operating system Windows 7?

This would have been easier for me  if you had included the entire p/n of your notebook. Just stating dv7 is like saying I have a car and it is a chevrolet. It would be more informative to know that your car is a Corvette.  My notebook, for example, is a dv7-4181ea. That gives detailed model information other than the series.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
linkofhyrule
Message 3 of 11 (7,439 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for replying and yes it is windows 7 as for the product number its , currently have 2 seperate 2GB SODIMM other 1333 MHz Samsung if someone could give me the name of compatiable 4 GB RAM cards that'd be a real help thanking you.

Honor Student
linkofhyrule
Message 4 of 11 (7,429 Views)

[ Edited ]

sorry think that was the wrong number I gave the full name is HP pavilion dv7-6b05ea hopefully that's a bit more helpful, also came acrosss a site saying I can upgrade to 16 GB and wanted to make sure its correct before buying link to site here

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 11 (7,425 Views)

linkofhyrule wrote:

sorry think that was the wrong number I gave the full name is HP pavilion dv7-6b05ea hopefully that's a bit more helpful, also came acrosss a site saying I can upgrade to 16 GB and wanted to make sure its correct before buying link to site here

That is correct information and Crucial is a great brand of memory. Crucial memory is guaranteed compatible memory when you use their memory finder. Enjoy the 16GB.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
linkofhyrule
Message 6 of 11 (7,417 Views)

Thanks again for replying!!!

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 11 (7,412 Views)

You are welcome. :

Honor Student
RickStoneMusic
Message 8 of 11 (3,785 Views)

Okay, I found this thread while searching for info on adding ram to my HP DV7-2273d.  Is the information about maximum memory the same?

Provost
Huffer
Message 9 of 11 (3,769 Views)

No yours is older and will not take 16gb. Yours maxes at 8 gb.

Honor Student
RickStoneMusic
Message 10 of 11 (3,727 Views)

Thanks.  Yeah, I went to the Crucial site and ran their diagnostic so I figured it out.  Ordered 8GB and will live with that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation