Question

Honor Student
Herot65
Message 1 of 3 (796 Views)

can a broken Display Switch module cause my screen to not turn on or be recognized?

Hi All,

I have recently been having some issues with my LCD screen in my HP Pavillion dv9700. Ever since I replaced the left hinge on my notebook, I have had to fiddle with my screen by closing and opening it during booting to get it to turn on. This only happened when booting into linux. When booting into vista, the screen would turn on without a problem. This morning I was so fed up with this, that I thought maybe some switch was not getting pressed to tell the notebook that the lid was opened. After looking at all the cables and putting everything back together, my screen now no longer turns on no matter how much I open and close the lid. It wont even turn on in vista. I am however able to connect a vga cable to my notebook and use an external monitor without any problems. I opened up the nvidia control panel in both windows and linux and it does not recognize my notebook monitor, only the external monitor shows up. Could this be caused by a broken display switch module? How can I diagnose this problem? Is there a way to bypass the display switch module by jumping two wires?

Any ideas are appreciated,

Thanks in advance

OS: Latest version of Ubuntu Linux 11.10 dual booting with Windows Vista

Problem: LCD Monitor not turning on / being recognized

possible cause: LCD Display Switch Module

Honor Student
Herot65
Message 2 of 3 (781 Views)

Re: can a broken Display Switch module cause my screen to not turn on or be recognized?

Update:

I just figured out that it cant be my display switch module because when i close the lid to my notebook, the external monitor shuts off and the computer goes into standby mode. I now think this might be an issue with the ribbon cable. Is there anything else which might be  causing this problem which I am overlooking?

Honor Student
rronindc
Message 3 of 3 (752 Views)

Re: can a broken Display Switch module cause my screen to not turn on or be recognized?

Yes, a broken Display Switch module could be the cause. Know however, that the cause could also be due to a damaged display panel power inverter or backlight or both.

Ron the Chess Man

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation