Question

Honor Student
sebastiaang
Message 1 of 8 (220 Views)

can i change from single core to dual core on my laptop

i have a CQ43-171LA   with a AMD single core E-240,2GBRAM ,250GB,HDD,WLAN   Running windows 8 i would like to upgrade the memory and change it to a dual core  because i cant even play a single game videos freeze at times and everything seems really slow   just to add the laptop its brand new it was given to me as a gift 

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (205 Views)

Re: can i change from single core to dual core on my laptop

[ Edited ]

The Ram can be easily upgraded and you will notice a big performance increase in general. Even if you could install a dual core processor you would not see an improvement in gaming. The processor is not holding you back it is the graphics and that would not be upgraded by any processor you could install. Lastly the cost of trying to upgrade the processor would be more than the cost of selling the laptop you have and buying something stronger. The RAM upgrade will be cheap and easy, on the other hand. I recommend 8 gigs. The RAM upgrade will make only a very slight difference in gaming; maybe not even noticeable. What exactly are you trying to play?

Honor Student
sebastiaang
Message 3 of 8 (195 Views)

[ Edited ]

i like to play saint row and games like that also emulators and be able to watch movies without them freezing at random times  i also use photoshop cs6 and frezes alot to what can i do for my laptop  achive max speed?

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 8 (193 Views)

If you are talking about Saints Row 3 that game has very high requirements; very few laptops will play it very well. Movies run from a DVD should have no problem on your computer. If streaming movies stutter and lock up on you it is more likely to be your network connection than the computer itself. Your laptop is at the very low end in terms of power. It will handle internet, DVD movies, office apps and streaming content well but would not be good for high or even mid-level gaming or any kind of content creation (audio or video production or Photoshop for example). It is much more like an iPad or something like that. The best investment you can make would be a memory upgrade. If interested let me know and I can point you to where to buy it and how to install it yourself.

Honor Student
sebastiaang
Message 5 of 8 (189 Views)

so it would be better to sell it and try to get a better laptop or just build a desktop and use this one for on the go ?

and the video freezes even when i have it saved to my hd   and on dvd  and also  freezes while running small stuff like internet and  random activitys

and sure i would like to upgrade the memory if it helps on something  thank you for your help 

Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 8 (186 Views)

Even with only 2 gigs of RAM it should not lock up or freeze. Did they buy it from a place where you have a return privilege? I fear you got a "lemon".

Honor Student
sebastiaang
Message 7 of 8 (183 Views)

i cant return it because the waranty ended on dec  is there anything else i can do ?

Provost
Huffer
Message 8 of 8 (181 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well I would do the RAM upgrade to at least 4 gigs. Has it always hung up on videos or is this new?

A 4 GB kit is $30. I suspect you may have an open slot in which case all you need is a second 2 gig stick; even cheaper.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=2E99AF7BA5CA7304

Here is a link to the Manual:

Manual

See page 45. You have 2 memory slots.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation