Question

Honor Student
llOyd_i_o
Message 1 of 3 (107 Views)
Accepted Solution

cardreader not working

Hi,

I have a 15-b171sd Sleekbook (win 8.1)

The cardreader doesnt work (not sure if it has worked in the first weeks)

The problem: An sd card doesnt appear in windows explorer - but it does appear in computer management of the disks.

Have tried updates but seems no driver is needed..

Pls help

Thanks in advance!

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 3 (81 Views)

Re: cardreader not working

[ Edited ]

Hello ll0yd_i_o,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your Card Reader is not working. I am going to provide you with some steps to try below to see if we can get your Card Reader working again:

Step 1. Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar
Step 2. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings
Step 3. Now type Hardware Troubleshooter in the search option
Step 4. Click on Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter

If the troubleshooter does not resolve your issue with your Card Reader I would like you to install latest drivers for the USB device by downloading and installing the Realtek Card Reader Driver.

After you have installed the newest driver (linked above) please follow the steps below:

Step 1. At theTiles Menu, type "Windows Update"
Step 2. Click Settings on the right side of the screen

Step 3. Select Install optional updates from the left results
Step 4. When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates

After having tried the above method, can you confirm that your SD card is now being recognized in Windows 8 or you are still facing problems? If not, then here’s another solution that you could try if you are having problems with your SD Card reader:

Step 1. Go to Computer Management then Disk Management you will find the Card Reader there
Step 2. Go to Control Panel >System and Security >Administrative Tools
Step 3. Click on Administrative Tools, then click on >Computer Management
Step 4. In the left panel under storage click >Disk Management Your SD card reader should show up there
Step 5. Right Click on it
Step 6. From the pop-up menu choose Change Drive Letter and Paths or Add Drive Letter..
Step 7. Assign it a drive letter
Step 8. Your SD card reader should show up when you double click the computer icon

This should resolve your Card Reader issue. If it does not please re-post and we can try additional steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"To be thrown upon one's own resources, it to be cast in the very lap of fortune." - Benjamin Franklin
Honor Student
llOyd_i_o
Message 3 of 3 (68 Views)

Re: cardreader not working

the final step fixed the problem, thanks!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation