Question

Honor Student
JWC352
Message 1 of 6 (1,554 Views)

cd/dvd drive not recognized as boot device

I have a Compaq Presario F750us running Vista Home Premium. The CD/DVD drive is listed in the BIOS but it does not come up with F9 Change Boot Order. It is not recognized in Device manager and there are no filters listed in the registry. It lights up and cranks on startup so there is power going to it. What am I missing? Could this be bad controller on the MB? really need some help on this. Customer is getting impatient..

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (1,539 Views)

Re: cd/dvd drive not recognized as boot device

Hi,

If the optical drive is set as the first bootable device in the bios, try seeing if a bootable disc will run - if it doesn't, it may be that the drive itself has failed.

A good test would be to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' to see if this OS will run from the CD.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
JWC352
Message 3 of 6 (1,527 Views)

Hi David..Thanks for the reply. The CD drive used in this laptop is the same type used in a Dell GX520 desktop. I had no trouble having the drive recognized in the dell machine, so I know the drive is good. As I mentioned before, when I put a bootable CD ( and I have several including a BART cd) in the drive and then hit F9 to bring up the boot menu, the CD drive is not an option yet I can go into the BIOS and see it listed in the Boot options menu. Very much a puzzlement!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (1,525 Views)

Hi,

It's certainly strange!

I don't normally recommend updating the bios ( unless it is known to resolve a particular issue ) but I do notice that there is a fairly recent update available Here.

If your not already at this level, it may be worth applying this - although it doesn't mention this particular issue.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
JWC352
Message 5 of 6 (1,516 Views)

At least we're on the same page. That was one of the other things i tried, so I just verified that it was in fact the same current BIOS verson.  Back to square one. I'm inclined to think it maybe be system board but I told my customer I would check every avenue possible before resorting to that final measure.. Is there anything else possible?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 6 (1,512 Views)

Hi,

From what you describe, I'm also leaning towards a problem with the controller on the MB especially considering the drive works correctly in another pc.  Does the drive detect a bootable disc?

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation