Question

Honor Student
drod131-
Message 1 of 43 (18,534 Views)

cd/dvd not showing up in device manager anymore

ok running windows vista.  i put a cd in it sounds like its spinning up then stops. ive tried the microsoft auomated fix it program. it says did not detect drive. tried to reseat the darn drive..and nothing. tried the whole registry edit and nothing.. finally did a factory restore and still notihing. i cant re install drivers cause there nothing there in the device manager to re install. someone please help. if i cant burn cds, which at one point i did, imma lose my mind. i love my jjams! i have a hp pavillion dv9000.  ive looked at all the other post to get ideas and still havent got it to work. didnt install any programs to have a conflict with the drive. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP I CANT TAKE IT NO MORE. lol
Student
Russellgc28
Message 2 of 43 (18,491 Views)

Re: cd/dvd not showing up in device manager anymore

Drod,  I am having the same problem and no one can seem to figure it out.  I have talked to HP support and they told me i needed a new optical drive so i got one and it still doesnt work.  I've read so many forums and none have a solution to the problem.  If you find out something, please post.
Honor Student
kiki_k
Message 3 of 43 (18,484 Views)

I have the same problem as drod, except that I'm now running Windows 7 Home Premium. I need to be able to transfer my CDs to iTunes because love my music so please help if you can! Was hoping that getting a new optical drive would help, but apparently not... What to do?
Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 4 of 43 (18,476 Views)

well kiki you mentioned the root cause of your problem, Itunes and windows do not get along with each other and the common side effect is your dvd becomes unusable. you need to get rid of Itunes.

see this info http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=windows+7+itunes+dvd&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Honor Student
kiki_k
Message 5 of 43 (18,445 Views)

Thanks nascar for alerting me to this problem as I wasn't aware of it. I have now uninstalled iTunes and related applications, but after restarting my laptop the device manager still doesn't list any CD/DVD drives. Is there something else I could now try or should I just take the computer somewhere to be repaired? The thing is, I don't think the optical drive itself is broken, because it seems to be trying to read the disk for a while whilst the green light is flashing, but then it all stops and I have to eject the disk. Could this problem be caused by registry settings, driver problems or something else I don't even know exists?

Another thing that puzzles me is how is it possible that when I had Windows Vista on this laptop, iTunes worked fine and there were no CD/DVD drive problems for about a year. But then suddenly the drive wasn't recognised anymore. Is it possible that the iTunes at that time (Nov 2007 onwards) was not incompatible with Vista, and the problem only came about after an update to the next iTunes release? I was hoping that upgrading to Windows 7 would get rid of this problem, but apparently not- or at least not as easily as I was hoping.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Student
surfnc
Message 6 of 43 (18,437 Views)

I have the same problem. When burning a disc using windows media player it stopped and now cannot locate the cd drive. I purchased a new drive and installed it. It still didn't show up at first  but the next day when I powered on it was there. So I tested it by loading some pictures from a CD...that worked OK. But when I tried to burn again with windows media player it crapped out again and the drive cannot be found whatever I do.  Could Media Player be killing the drives?  Does anyone out there have a solution? If I buy an external cd drive will it die as well?
Tutor
cjc2
Message 7 of 43 (18,196 Views)

I've been having the same exact issue for a few weeks now (never really noticed it before so it could be happening longer).  I've tried EVERYTHING too.   Even reseating the drive ... though it appears to be getting power, blinking when I put a CD or DVD in.    But the CD/DVD does not show up in the device manager no way no how.    I've gpne through all the troubleshooting here - including loading the microsoft powershell troubleshooter, tweaking the registery, installing and uninstalling cd/dvd software.  nada.    HP of course conveniently comes to the conclusion the drive is bad (3 weeks after the 1 year warrantee expires) ... but I have trouble believing this issue is so rampant with so many users on these boards, multiplied by the number of people who never get to post here.

HP ?   Any solutions?  Anyone?   HP - if these drives are defective you should recall them

Either way, HP, your support site is abysimal ... sure it looks nice, but **bleep**, when I go to the page that has the system information for my particular system - it does not even list what kind of DVD drive is installed so I might be able to investigate myself.  (and yes, I am sure I am looking at the correct system model number).  

After reading through these support boards, my next steps are 1) making a note NEVER to buy HP again,   2) to spend any additional time on this issue tracking down some awards site for poor service and support ... you've got MY nomination HP!

To all my fellow Notebook owners (I have a Pavillion dv9913cl) ...  I hope someone has some better luck with this issue and better satisfaction with HP.   And of course if anyone here finds a solution (or, if by some miracle HP finds out) .. please post so we all can finally have use of our DVD drives!

Student
littled
Message 8 of 43 (17,693 Views)

I have had the same issue a buddy of mine purchased a dvd1170e for his laptop worked great for about three months then just disappeared from his device manager. He doesn't have itunes loaded on his computer. I went through all the upper an lower limits no luck. i brought the drive home to my computer an hooked it up. it shows up on my device manager until i load a disk into it then it acts like its reading the disk an suddenly the drive disappears from my device manager. when i eject the disk it suddenly returns. my other two cd/dvd drives are fine no problems. any thoughts on this piece of junk dvd drive. i think its fried personally

Student
yeldudk
Message 9 of 43 (17,745 Views)

Thank you for these posts.  This is exactly what has happened with my HP Pavilion.  And I was using iTunes, looked like it loaded the music off of a CD, but later when I tried to sync my iPod, the songs were not there.  I can get the drive to show in My Computer, but as soon as I try to load a CD or DVD it disappears. I have no answers, but I am hoping someone figures this out, I'll let you know if I do.

Tutor
cjc2
Message 10 of 43 (17,690 Views)

FOLLOWUP:  After my DVD/CD stopped working, and an hour on the phone with HP - who then told me ! was a month over my 1 year ...   , I gave up.     Then, one of the 4 USB ports stopped working.   I didn't care because I had the other 3.       And after a while I had trouble booting up.    So I tried a system recovery  (system restores did nothing) ...   but I kep getting errors during system recovery, vague errors about simply not being able to perform that function.     The system worked for a few more weeks after that, then died   (power button just turned 'console' lights on, but nothing else).    I got lucky though ...  I bought my unit at Costco which apparently forces HP to give a 2 year warrantee.   I called Costco tech support.  SOunds funny but Costco Tech support (called "Costco Concierge")  is absolutely the best tech support people I have ever talked to, and I have talked to many over the past 20 years.      After several interesting tests, they quickly determined, not surprising, that the motherboard had died - and then, with me on the phone, called HP - and (the costco folks are amazingly well trained at this) - forced them to repair the notebook for free.   So 2 things - 1) HP even acknowledged that the DVD problem was rooted in the motherboard, not the player or device drivers - thus all other troubleshooting was a pointless exercise.   2) I am unabashedly praising and recommending Costco for such purchases....these guys really stood behind their customer - and their tech support really knows their stuff   (coincidentally I had an Acer netbook with a completely different issue, and I got to experience the same stellar level of support from Costco ...  now, they are my first call - not the manufacturer)

Cheers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation