Question

Honor Student
VR6Kirk
Message 1 of 13 (25,129 Views)

compaq presario F700

A friend I work with son's laptop (Presario F700) is not working so he gave it to me since I atleast have some knowledge about computers. I tried to turn on the laptop and the power button flashes blue for a second and then nothing. Yes the battery is charged. I also have it connected to external power. If you try this a few times it will actually stay on for about 30 seconds. The power button will remain luminated and the power and charging light will come on but the HDD light will not light. You can hear it spinning and the fans kick on but after about 30 seconds it shuts off. Nothing comes up on the display. The screen stays black. I know it is not the screen because the first thing I did was try to connect it to an external monitor. Nothing is happening.

Is this definitely the HDD or could it be something else. Please let me know if you could I would really appreciate any help I can get.

By the way... I read on many forums that if you unplug the power and remove the battery and hold down the power button for 30 to 60 seconds then reconnect the power supply and try to turn it on it will work. I tried this method which has apparently worked for other people with the same problems with no luck.

Honor Student
VR6Kirk
Message 2 of 13 (25,252 Views)

Re: compaq presario F700

Anyone? Please tell me what you think because I would really like to fix his laptop for his son. He took it to 3 places to get it repaired and they all told him prices of around $300 to fix.
Student
cmoore
Message 3 of 13 (25,193 Views)

I have one doing the same thing. I tried all the same things you did with no luck. Have you fixed yours yet and if so what did you do?
Student
ps_etc
Message 4 of 13 (25,054 Views)

Ok, I'm having the same problems. I bought a new hard drive, used my recovery discs and it started right up. BUT then it failed after about 2 hours just like with the old drive. Now it won't start.....just like with the old drive. It's not a hard drive issue. I'd say it's the motherboard that gets too hot after running and is failing.

Anyone with any other suggestions?

Student
lseelba
Message 5 of 13 (25,037 Views)

Mine has the same problem but i discovered a work aroun.

Step 1) Turn on the computer.  Count to 10.  If COMPAQ screen shows up great your computer will boot, otherwise go to step 2.

Step 2) Hold down power button to turn off computer.  As soon as computer turns off, count to 1. Go to Step 1.

It takes me on average three cycles to get the thing to turn on, but it works every time.  The computer will not turn on if you let it try to boot for more than 10 seconds, and it will not boot if you do not immediately turn it back on after you turn it off after counting to ten.

Intern
Kodi
Message 6 of 13 (24,848 Views)

by some slim chance did you update BIOS....if not maybe the system hiccuped......see if you can set the BIOS back to defaults by doing the following

1. Turned off the computer

2. Removed Battery and disconnected power cord.

3. Waited, pensively, for 5-10 minutes

4. Plugged the power cord back in but DO NOT reinsert the battery

5. Holding down the Insert/Scroll button, hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds, release the power button. still hold the Insert/Scroll button pressed the computer shoul come up and Windows should  boot. 

6. Restart hit ESC  it should open the BIOS and reset to default. restart computer should come back.

good luck

Student
vince_vabohda
Message 7 of 13 (23,225 Views)

Have the same issue. A Windows Vista update launched automatically a couple of days ago. When rebooting, the update started configuring during Windows startup, but the computer hanged (vertical color stripes on the screen). After five minutes, I decided to hold the power button down to shutdown then reboot. That was fatal.

Now the power button lights up when I press it, the CD drive turns half a second and then the laptop shuts down and tries again rebooting, endlessly. The LCD screen never lights up. So it seems the Vista update even crashed the Bios!

I tried both solutions above, without success. Must admit I quite don't know what the Insert/Scroll button is, since I have two separate buttons for both functions, and not a single one.

Tutor
computer-star
Message 8 of 13 (22,516 Views)

[ Edited ]

It may be the motherboard problem.

We have the same model, kind of same problem.

Tech. from

http://www.computerstar.ca/

Student
mikroehl
Message 9 of 13 (22,349 Views)

I have the same problem. I am going to try and put new ram in and see what happens..  I work in IT so I will keep this tread updated as to if it is a fixable problem or if the laptop is a total loss. 

Intern
CharlesSteele
Message 10 of 13 (22,319 Views)

I was going to reply to you about your laptop. Here's what I think the problem is. If your laptop's power led indicator light comes on and the HDD and the Fan get up to speed and stays on for about 30 seconds with no display and turns right back off, even in despite if your battery is fully charged and the power adapter is properly connected, it is most likely your motherboard. I've been working with Desktop PCs and Laptop PCs and I've worked with enough of them to know if your laptop does that, it's most likely your motherboard. If it was your Fan or HDD, neither your HDD nor Fan would power on. I would check into it though. I do believe that it is your motherboard that's at fault. It may even be faulty RAM as well. But more and likely it sounds like your motherboard is at fault. That's what I have concluded from reading your description of the problem. And Let me tell you, when you go to replace it, it is a PAIN to work on. All laptops are when they need internal parts replaced. So good luck and I hope that this helps. Charles.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation