Question

Student
node13
Message 1 of 1 (2,414 Views)

compaq presario cq 56 172 sr - booting from USB

Hi everybody!

I have a problem in my notebook(named as in topic) & I have not solved it yet. Maybe here somobody can help me?

The problem is : BIOS can't see and boot from USB flash as from USB hard drive but it can see the USB flash as a "USB floppy drive" - and can't  boot from it.

In BIOS booting device order there are a few variants of USB devices to boot from -  USB floppy and a USB hard drive.

I have a USB flash drive (Transcend, 4 Gb) with ISO image on it. Trying to boot from it on other computers and notebook was successful but impossible on compaq presario CQ 56 172 SR (I'd like my notebook to boot from USB flash)

I set the boot devices priority  like this:

1. USB hard drive

2. CD\DvD

3. Notebook's hard drive

when I putting in USB flash and reboot the notebook nothing is changing - I can see only Operation system of my notebook hard drive but NOT the operation system on my USB.

when I changing the boot device setting:

1. USB floppy drive

2.CD

3. NOtebook's HDD

My notebook can recognize the MBR on USB flash (it is GRUB) -  but everytime hangs and  only rebooting helps.

How do You think, what is the reason that notebook can see the USB booting device only as USB floppy but not as USB HDD??

P,s: thanks for you answering. I hope somebody already had solved this problem before me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation