Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ60
Microsoft Windows Vista

Shut the laptop down last night but now when I try to start it up the keyboard has  decided not to work so I cannot enter my password  when trying to start windows normally. i.e. I cannot get past the login screen.

The on screen keyboard likewise does not work nor does connecting an external keyboard via usb.

The only keys that do work are the 'm' which acts like the return key and the space bar and backspace keys which type a line of dots in the password box.

Hard reset does not work and I cannot do anything which requires something typed in.

Safe mode 'last known configuration does not fix it and 'repair computer' after saying that it is loading files takes me to a system recovery options screen which allows only my name to be the user and then requires a password typed in which I cannot do.

Can you help please?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Young1955,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a excellent local  to find answers and suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I understand that your notebook was running normally when you shut it down.  On startup you are unable to get past the startup screen as  you are unable to enter your password. The virtual or on screen keyboard is also not working. You connected an external keyboard but no change.

Although you did state you tried a hard reset I am including documentation just to ensure a step was not missed during that process. 

HP Notebook PCs - Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset

I am not sure what may have caused this issue but just to rule out the possibility of a bios issue here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

If the above has not helped and you are still unable to use a keyboard please contact HP support for further assistance as it will most likely need to be serviced for a hardware issue. 

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

To say thank you for responding please click the thumbs up icon below.

If you were able to overcome your difficultly please choose accepted solution to aid others.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the hard reset did not work and, despite a lot of loud beeping, the BIOS update screen refused to appear after several attempts.

So I presume that this is now a hardware problem?

HP Recommended

HI @Young1955,

Thank you for the update.

I will assume that you are out of warranty on the notebook. With that being said you could check to ensure that the keyboard cable is securely attached and damage free.  If there should be an issue with connection it could cause other issues.

As you are able to boot to Windows it may not be hardware. 

You could try doing the recovery from outside of Windows using recovery media.  If you did not create recovery media you can obtain a recovery kit from HP.  This may or may not work and you will need to decide if it is worth trying or not if you did not create recovery disks.

Here is a ink to the Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide  to assist you  should you check the connections.

If you are concerned about the data on the hard drive you could try installing the drive into an external case, then connecting  it as an external drive you may be able to access the data to retrieve it.  If you do not feel comfortable with this method there is an option during the recovery to backup your data if that options is viable.

Here are links to assist you with a recovery and restoring your data from the recovery backup.

HP Notebook PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows Vista)

HP Notebook PCs - How to Restore Backup Files Created During the F11 Backup Procedure

If the above has not helped you can contact HP support for service options or contact  a local repair shop to obtain an estimate for repairs so you can make an informed decision.

Contact information for HP is in my previous post.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for your further advice.

Checked the keyboard cable as suggested.  Could not see any problem so reassembled. Keyboard still not working properly.

Decided to go for a system recovery and followed the instructions for a system recovery from the hard drive as I am certain that  there is a recovery partition on the hard drive. 

I did create recovery DVDs when I first used the laptop but thought I would use the recovery drive anyway.

Followed all the instructions, although I could not use the back up option as the laptop refused to recognise any of my 3 usb external drives onto which my files could have been backed up.

Anyway, as I only use this laptop for my itunes and as  I had performed a full backup of my library (83.3 GB) only a few months ago I decided to cancel the backup and continue the recovery without it.

When the recovery was complete I clicked on 'Finish' and now have the 'Administrator: x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe' screen with the x:\windows\system32> command prompt.

What do I do now?

Help please!

HP Recommended

Hi @Young1955,

I understand that after completing the recovery process  you now get a  command prompt.

First I would try a hard reset ( link is in my previous post) and if you still get the command prompt I would try the recovery process one more time.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Have tried hard reset, then recovery from the hard drive, then recovery from the recovery discs then another hard reset and still  had the 'Administrator: x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe' screen with the x:\windows\system32> command prompt each time I started the laptop after each of them.

HP Recommended

Hi @Young1955,

Thank you for your update.

As you have attempted different methods of doing the recovery with the same results, I would check for hardware failures just to rule that out as a possible cause. 

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

If no hardware failures are located I suggest you try the recovery from a recovery kit if one is available.

You can contact HP support to inquire about acquiring a recovery kit.  It as possibly the remover manager was corrupted when you made your recovery media.

If you have a stand alone copy of Vista or Windows 7 you could try to install from it also.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Immediately after my last message to you I did a little web research and using F10 to enter the BIOS I went to System Configuration, Boot Options, Boot Order.

The Boot Order showed a USB drive at the top of the list so I changed the order so that Notebook Hard Drive became the top. 

Saved and Exited.

System Restore worked, software reloaded and the keyboard is working again.

Everything fine so far but I will post again if things go wrong.

HP Recommended

Hi @Young1955,

I glad that all you needed to do was change the boot order to the hard drive first. 

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.