Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have uodate the main bios to the latest...f50 but i have not way to activate amt options on Bios, it´s allways appear as background options bur not wait of to enter in this menu, so i have not way for to activate contro + P  options.

Any idea what is my problem?

thanks

HP Recommended

Ultraspark - "Hi, I had the same problem on my EliteBook 2540p with Windows 8.1 Ent x64 Upd 1, (BIOS F50) but I found that enabling the ME (Ctrl+P) have solved my problem. I think it is a bug in the latest F50 Firmware for EliteBook 2540p. Hope to solve it fast.

Best Regards!"

How did you enable Ctrl+P? I recently bought a 2540p and I've upgraded to F50 firmware but cannot access AMT Options (greyed out in the bios) and I can find no setting to enable the CTRL-P in the bios anywhere.

This is absolutely ridiculous - when it is on battery the temperatures just climb higher and higher and fan never kicks in whether set to passive or to active in Windows power options.  Because of this I must use on AC all the time which completely defeats the point of having a laptop machine in the first place.

Is there going to be a BIOS fix for this HP?

HP Recommended

I worked out how to gain access to AMT Options as it was greyed out on my machine in the BIOS but can't get much further than that.

I have to take the battery out and leave off for a couple mins then connect only AC power without battery and switch on. I am then able to access the AMT Options in the BIOS

Unfortunately for me when I enable ctrl-p access it does not prompt me in post as it is supposed to and nothing happens when I press ctrl-p during post either so I cannot enable ME State because I cannot reach the menu to do so.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

HP Recommended

It dosent work for me

HP Recommended

It seems to be a common issue with this laptop. A friend of mine works at a place that has around 20 2540p's and they all exhibit this issue. I ended up returning mine to the ebay seller since if it can't be used away from AC power then it's not very useful as a laptop.

HP Recommended

Guys, just read carefully what I wrote and do exactly the same. Don't touch in Windows Power Options the Active or Pasive for CPU Fan. This changes only the point of acivation of the fan. For example Passive = 70 degrees, and Active = 50 degrees. Some of you don't have the F50 bios (or later). Unfortunately, I don't have time to make a Video step by step. But if you'll follow exactly what it was written, you'll get the best travel notebook from HP for funny money. On ebay it is about 200-300$ (depend on CPU, RAM, HDD, Battery, PSU).

Yes, it is a common issue. All laptops have some issues. It is almost discontinued, but I found that workaround and until now, it works like a superjet. I gave it to my aunt, and she is happy. She don't worry if fan is spinning or not. The fan works as it should be, or as in Windows 7. Just be careful to follow the instructions above. If you don't understand how to Enable\Disable that Active Management Technology, check here I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fL9gBRdTlI

At 1 min and 13 sec, it shows the screen you need in Bios. Tick the  Firmware Verbosity and AMT Setup Promt (Ctrl+P). Save and Exit. The notebook should Reboot or Shutdown. If it give you question about shutdown or reboot, press shutdown. When you'll Power On it again, Press Ctrl+P Ctrl+P Ctrl+P Ctrl+P Ctrl+P Ctrl+P Ctrl+P Ctrl+P Ctrl+P many many many many times, until you'll get a strage screen like old bios of old computers. Go there, in General settings, and Enable that AMT. Just Enable it. Save and Reboot. To be sure once again, after first boot, shut down the notebook completely! Atention - If your notebook have Windows 8 and HDD, it will not shutdown, but will hibernate. This are different things. Google for how to shutdown the Windows 8. Mine have an SSD and for these drives, Windows 8 doesn't activate that Fast Start. Or you can disable fast start in Power Options mannualy. In the following video you'll find how looks the AMT Menu. Just Enable it and set some password. Anyway, you can reset it. But set some simple password, save and exit. Here is the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KS-k9uM_Gk&list=PLLF2QmPu3W1NXL62v1RHzw1Jh1Oh8enoS

You dont have to set IP Address, hostname, etc. After that, go in notebook bios by pressing F10 and disable that verbose messages, to not see them everytime you turn on the notebook. And it will work like a charm!

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I bought hp Elitebook 2540P and I updated latest bios F50 and MI firmware. but I dont know, How to enable AMT option. kindly help me, step by step procedure to run the cooling fan on battery. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.