Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

OK I have dopne as you asked,

waiting for new input from you

cheers

Chris

HP Recommended

How much free space exists in the C: drive now?

Please post a screenshot as you did before.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Ok erico

here we are 34Gb free space

regards

chris

new c size.PNG

HP Recommended

Have you done anything about the temp folder contents yet?

You are going to have to make the hidden files visible to see what is using up the space. 

Type in folder options in the Search programs and Files box and then press the enter key.

folder_options1.png

folder_options2.png

Answer yes to the prompt that pops up and then OK. Now you can look at the files in the C: drive via the Windows Explorer to see what is taking up so much space. Search online for the file extension to see what they are before deleting them.

folder_options3.png

Post here what those files and their extensions are. Once you know that the files are safe to delete, you can delete them. Don't forget to empty the recycle bin or the files will still not have been deleted completely.

Keep an eye on free space wile you are doing this. One you get to where you have at least 100-150 GB free space you can return to the C: drive properties window and untick the compression option.  Once you have all of this done, you will be pleasantly surpirised to notice that your windows installation has become responsive and fun to use  again.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
ultimate solution is formatting your hard drive and installing the OS again.... but u should first try other way i.e. check the hidden files ,downloaded files size,uninstalling unnecessary files from control panel....etc
HP Recommended

What does the root of your C: drive look like now that you have "unhidden" the hidden files?

Had you installed some other backup program?

HP Recommended

Hi Erico

Eureka!  thanks very much. ifollowed your instructions and found that over 150GB

of space was taken with a folder named #GDATA.trash.Store#

G DATA  is the security/anti virus that i installed when i bought this HP over 2years ago

i have stopped any backups being made by this program.

Now my disk C has 35GB used space and 184 free space.

once again thanks

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

That is good to hear. 🙂

Have you unticked the compression option in the C: drive properties? Now that can be done safely wthout crashing your OS.

You may also return to folder properties and put a tick mark back in hide protected files. If you don't do that you will still see some files with extensions you don't recognize in odd places. 

HP Recommended
Where is the "search programs and Files" box?
HP Recommended
idon't have enough disk space to download files
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.