Question

Honor Student
YanKon
Message 1 of 5 (219 Views)
Accepted Solution

dm4-1140SA (Windows 8 Pro - 32 bit) hardware upgrades - what will give the most bang for my buck

Laptop specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02550724&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

What would give the most noticable performance improvement e.g. changing the HDD to an SDD drive, upgrading the 3GB DDR3 RAM to 8GB DDR RAM? Could you give an indication of how much of an improvement I could expect with each of the suggested upgrades? Also, could you give some suggestions of what technical specifications I should be looking at for replacement parts.

Also, any software suggestions to improve performance would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks very much. Yan

Teacher
dallascowboys1
Message 2 of 5 (217 Views)

Re: dm4-1140SA (Windows 8 Pro - 32 bit) hardware upgrades - what will give the most bang for my buck

Getting a SSD would be a substantial boost.

You can look at www.crucial.com for both SSD and memory.

Huffer
Message 3 of 5 (214 Views)

Re: dm4-1140SA (Windows 8 Pro - 32 bit) hardware upgrades - what will give the most bang for my buck

Unquestionably the biggest single improvement you can do to a PC is to install an SSD. If you have never used a PC with an SSD main drive you will be amazed by the fast boot time and the improved responsiveness when opening programs, etc. The increase from 3 gb to 8 gb would be somewhat noticeable, and is absolutely necessary if you want to do memory intensive tasks like Photoshop or video editing. However, upgrading past the 3 gb you have will first require that you install a 64 bit copy of Windows. Otherwise your upgrade will not even be recognized. You should be able to install 64 bit Windows 8 Pro using your existing license for 32 bit.

One of the best SSDs on the market right now is the Samsung 840 Pro and I would get at least a 256 gig model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

Post back if you need any more help or advice.

Honor Student
YanKon
Message 4 of 5 (203 Views)

[ Edited ]

Many thanks for your reply. Very useful. 

With regards to the SSD drives - what technical specifications should I be considering other than than the size of the memory? e.g. SATA2 or SATA3, Pro/EVO  vs Normal Verisons of the Samsung 840 you suggested

With regards to the DDR3 upgrade, what specifications should I take care of? I couldn't tell from the specifications sheet if there is only 1 or 2 slots. Are there any specifications that I shoudl consider for selction for an upgrade. 

Mant thanks again.

Provost
Huffer
Message 5 of 5 (186 Views)

The 840 Pro is the one you want. You can't go wrong with a SATA III....even if the interface on the computer is SATA II, the SATA III will work as well as a SATA II and will obviously be better on a SATA III port. Here is the memory you want....DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333 mhz aka PC3-10600.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20dm4-1140sa

Here is the Manual:

Link to Manual

Page 44 shows memory replacement and Page 53 shows how to replace the hard drive.

You have 2 memory slots available.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation