Question

Student
DrawnToScale
Message 1 of 4 (9,665 Views)

dv1000 Hard Drive Replacement

My understanding is that my hard drive is a 60 GB IDE drive.  I would like to replace it with a larger drive.  Do they still make drives that are compatible with this computer?  What about the physical size (2.5", 3.5", etc), RPM (5400, 7200, etc)?  The HP on-line chat support session told me that a SATA drive will work fine, and I ordered one.  But a knowledgable friend told me I was given the wrong information and that I wasted my money on this SATA drive.

What hard drive would make a good upgrade for this computer?

Thanks!

Teacher
anon
Message 2 of 4 (9,657 Views)

Re: dv1000 Hard Drive Replacement

What sort of computer is it? That would be useful. If it's a desktop, it'll probably take 3.5". But seeing as its a laptop, almost definitely 2.5". IDE drives are still manufactured, definitely, just google IDE xGB where x is how big you want your drive. If you get one, you can either swap it, which is easy, power down the computer, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, refer to the manual to find out how to remove the old drive, and simply slot the new one into the slot. Reassemble the laptop, job done. Make sure your new drive's jumper is set to 'master.' But that means you'll have to reinstall Windows and all your apps onto the new one, which obviously means booting from the Windows installation disk. Alternatively, you could go to someone who has a good desktop, be nice to them and persuade them to connect both of your drives to their motherboard, and use either, if they have to boot from your drive, a shadow copy utility such as Norton Ghost or if they can boot from theirs straight copying, to copy your entire Windows installation and all your files accross. This may take some time, especially if the new drive has to be formatted first. You can then put the old drive into a USB drive enclosure, and use it as an external backup drive (format it first). If you have a laptop, you'll only have IDE, can't have 2 drives on most laptops. What I'd do would be to buy either an external hard drive or an internal one plus a USB drive enclosure, and use the external drive for all your personal stuff. Unless you've got Vista, which takes 10GB of space on its own, you shouldn't have 60 GB of files on your old drive anyway, unless you've got lots of photos in which case they can go on an external drive anyway. Defrag, run disk cleanup, uninstall unwanted programs, etc etc. Thanks.
Student
stoneeaHP
Message 3 of 4 (6,004 Views)

Mine has a 2.5" -  80GB SATA drive.  You should be able to replace it with any 2.5" SATA drive.

Once you open the HD panel on the bottom of the machine, there is a metal holder with a black plastic tab.  Pull up on the tab then out to remove.  Four side screws releases the hard drive.  Place new drive and replace screws.

There is a plastic adapter connected to the pins on the end of the old drive.  Pull that off and use it on the new drive.

Restore you volume from backup and enjoy.

BTW - If you have iTunes on this computer, don't forget to deauthorize it before you shut down.

Student
johnct
Message 4 of 4 (5,454 Views)

My dv1000 laptop hard drive broke when I dropped it running.  It was a 60gb ide 2.5" drive.

Using my manufacturer's recovery disks to install the operating system how big of an upgrade hard drive(in terms of gigabites) can one install without out running into complications? Only 60gb? 120gb?  Bigger?

Gratefully,

johnct

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation