Question

Tutor
cfrage
Message 1 of 11 (3,609 Views)

dv4-2145dx fan speed. I want to crank it up.

Is there any way to control the fan speed of my dv4-2145dx with Win 7 64bit? When palying games the core temp goes up around 85*C which for some reason slows my wireless connection as well. I went to power profiles and changed it to power saver where it uses passive cooling instead of active and the fan speed went way up and the temps dropped, however this also lowers cpu speed and voltage thus lowering frame rates. Thanks for any help!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 11 (3,606 Views)

Re: dv4-2145dx fan speed. I want to crank it up.

[ Edited ]

2 possibilities:

A BIOS update may change the fan profile so it runs faster when it is hotter but in no event will you have any control over it, so a BIOS update does not really do what you want.

There is a free program called speedfan. It theoretically allows control over fan speeds but in reality it depends on if the program can work with the sensor and control chips on your motherboard. I have not tried it on a dv4 but generally it works on newer laptops so worth a try. Just google download speedfan and you will find it.

Tutor
cfrage
Message 3 of 11 (3,571 Views)

No luck with SpeedFan, only thing it would show was core temp but did not detect any fans or even my HDD.

I see they have an updated BIOS out for my notebook but the only change it shows is "makes the mute button more sensitive."  Not sure that's going to help me. I may give it a try anyway.

Tutor
cfrage
Message 4 of 11 (3,562 Views)

Updated to latest BIOS and no change in fan speeds/cooling. Mute button is nice and sensitive now though! :smileyvery-happy:

I did notice while the program was flashing the BIOS the fan speed went WAY up and was loud as all get out; that's exactly what I want 24/7 while plugged in! I like my computers to sound like 747's in lift off. :smileywink:

Intern
vdl68
Message 5 of 11 (3,540 Views)

When was the last time you use compress air to blow out the dust in the intake/outtake? That's will help out with the "heating" and noise you are having.

Tutor
cfrage
Message 6 of 11 (3,538 Views)

Just got the laptop three days ago.  :smileyhappy:

Tutor
cfrage
Message 7 of 11 (3,330 Views)

bump

Anyone? I really want to be able to speed up my system fan. I know it can do it, I've heard it. When I flashed the bios that fan was spinning at million rpm (lol). Please help, I feel 85*C is just a bit too warm, not to mention it's causing throttling issues.

Student
tiger__61
Message 8 of 11 (2,819 Views)

ive had my dv4 series for four months. im a computer dink. ive been to the end of the internet. speed fan and ect does not work with the dv4 series. as far as i know, there is no stand alone program to control fan speed. i have a cooling pad that has droped my 90C core temp to 75C while heavy load gaming. i to would like a program but there just isnt one avail at this time. best bet is to get a good colling fan pad and watch your cooling tubes. altho i have never had throttling issues even without the cooling pad playing online games. good luck. maybe someone will fix this. 

if the answer is death, lets give THEM the answer.
Intern
JRGibbs1990
Message 9 of 11 (2,796 Views)

Passive cooling means no active fan weird the fan runs faster, but you can have passive cooling on any power profile, go to power options under control panel, select your normal power plan click change plan settings , than change advanced power settings , a little box will pop up go to , processer power management , system cooling policy now you can change between passive/active.

Student
LIVINFAST26
Message 10 of 11 (2,206 Views)

I HAVE AN IDEA MAN GET THIS AWESOME LAP COOLER LOOKS AND WORKS GREAT FOR GAMING I HAVE THE SAME LAPTOP as you....FOLLOW LINK BELOW THEY HAVE A TON OF DIFFERENT COOL STUFF CHECK IT OUT... 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/AddCartfromGallery.asp?EdpNo=5233224&csid=ITD&Sku=T925-1324&imgca...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation