Question

Honor Student
jimg56
Message 1 of 4 (2,145 Views)

dv6-1030us Webcam Problem

I have a dv6-1030us computer and it seems since I installed Vista Service Pack 2 the built in webcam works intermittently.  (I noticed the problem too long after I installed SP2, so I have no easy route back to SP1) Most of the time it simply doesn't work; when you open the HP MediaSmart webcam program, your hear the sound of a usb device unplugging and get an alert that the "Connection to the video device was lost".  If you check device manager the webcam still shows up as there and I don't see anything else missing.   

Occasionally  - and I have not been able to reproduce a chain of actions that are repeatable to help solve the problem - the camera does work.  Probably less than 5% of the time.  I have called customer service and they said other people are reporting a similar problem, but I have yet to see anyone post.  I am wondering if I simply have a hardware failure with the camera.  I have updated all drivers and have the latest bios version f.24.  Any suggestions?

Top Student
goodhed
Message 2 of 4 (1,987 Views)

Re: dv6-1030us Webcam Problem

I've had the same problem to SP1. Contacted the tech support recently and they said it was a known hardware issue. They advised me to send the laptop to repair center to get the camera changed. I'vnt sent it yet as I believe that this is a driver issue rather than hardware. Have you had any luck installing other drivers like Chicony?
Student
rfowler643
Message 3 of 4 (727 Views)

I too have the same exact problem.  I think this may be a very common problem. 

Has HP gotten back to you.  If anyone figures out the fix to this issue, I would like to know.  I hate to have something that doesn't work.

Great post.  I hope we get some answers.

Student
hb313
Message 4 of 4 (716 Views)

I've had this laptop for two years without a webcam problem. Upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. My webcam stopped working. If I go into HP MediaSmart Webcam it shows an image for a few seconds and then it loses its connection. I can't get it to work in the latest version of Skype anymore. It's not even an option to choose from. The only option is a Cyberlink webcam filter that I've never noticed as an option before.  Any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation