Question

Top Student
scott_h
Message 1 of 12 (291 Views)

dv6 quad pavilion ivy bridge: need to uninstall mSSD to upgrade HDD to SSD and install 16 GB RAM

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC 
Product Number:   A5F76AV

dv6t Quad Ed
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
• NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 memory [HDMI, VGA]
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
• 32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
• 6 cell + 9 cell Lithium Ion Battery
• 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
• Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam
• Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
• Backlit Keyboard

I want to upgrade my laptop to SSD and 16 GB RAM. Currently my laptop has some problems. One of these problems occurs when I play video or music files. The output of these media files frequently gets stuck for a bit (it sounds similar to a damaged cd) but always continues on after getting stuck.  

What I want to do is a complete restoration to original factory condition and then to uninstall the mSSD so that I can install a 960 GB SSD and upgrade to 16 GB RAM.  (Currently the RAM capacity is only 8GB because of my configuration with the mSSD)  Hopefully this upgrade will also solve my problem with playing media files.  I purchased this laptop about a year and a half ago.  I bought HP because in the past I was able to get support on previous computers, but I was surprised to find that after the 1 year warranty it costs money to call or chat with hp. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to completely uninstall my mSSD so that I can install the full 16GB of RAM and so that when I install a SSD it will function optimally? Thank You.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 12 (254 Views)

Re: dv6 quad pavilion ivy bridge: need to uninstall mSSD to upgrade HDD to SSD and install 16 GB RAM

HI  scott_h,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your post, I am happy to assist you.

I understand you are having some issues with the computer, and would like to make some changes.  Here is the HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide.    It will provide you with the recommended replacement parts. Here is the HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives manual that will help with your SSD.  You can  Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7),  to return it back to factory.  If you would like further assistance please do not hesitate to respond back.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
scott_h
Message 3 of 12 (242 Views)

Re: dv6 quad pavilion ivy bridge: need to uninstall mSSD to upgrade HDD to SSD and install 16 GB RAM

Thank you for the literature. I will search it. This was a made to order model and when I selected the mSSD it prevented me from adding RAM  and also from selecting either a SSD or a hybrid drive. What I hope to find is how to uninstall the mSSD. and to make whatever cahnges are necessary to allow my desired upgrades (SSD and 16GB RAM).  I hope the material you sent will give insight into the reasons for the limitation imposed by the mSSD, and into the solution so that I can enjoy the SSD and 16GB RAM just as if I had never ordered the mSSD.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 4 of 12 (237 Views)

HI scott_h,

Thank you for your reply.

Here are a couple of more documents I think will help.

SSD Guide  andAbout Solid State Hard Drives..

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Top Student
scott_h
Message 5 of 12 (225 Views)

Thank you for the additional documents.  I have not yet found anything that discusses the reasons that hp would not build my laptop with an ssd or more than 8GB RAM while I had the mSSD option selected.  If I unselected the mSSD acceleration option I was allowed to order both the full 16 GB RAM and an SSD.  This  leads me to believe that the mSSD may be  incompatible with the extra RAM and an SSD. I would really like to get to the bottom of this so I can understand exactly what the issues are which prevented me from getting the extra RAM and the SSD when I chose the mSSD option. I greatly appreciate any help with this?

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC 
Product Number:   A5F76AV

dv6t Quad Ed
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
• NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 memory [HDMI, VGA]
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
• 32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 6 of 12 (215 Views)

Hi scott_h,

Thank you for your response.

To answer your question I need some additional information.

What operating system are you running on the SSD drive?  According to your maintenance and service guide your system supports  160 GB SSD  and 32 GB MSSD drive.  What size SSD do you have?  I am also including a link, to an answer on, "Yahoo answers," that I thnk is pertinent.What Is 32gb mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache?

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
scott_h
Message 7 of 12 (208 Views)

My Laptop Came with Windows 7 Home Premium, and is the original installation that I received when the laptop was new from hp.

My original HDD is 1 TB 5400rpm and the SSD I have to replace it is 960GB.  I have used one of these on my lower end hp laptop with fantastic results (so far).

I want to get the correct RAM per specifications of HP whatever those may be, but I first want to know that I have eliminated any trace of the mSSD build condition that limits me to 8 GB  (I wish I never ordered the mSSD so I wouldn't have to worry)

I need to eliminate any hindrances imposed on my system when I chose the mSSD option.

I do not know if the OS is on the HDD or on the mSSD. I had been under the impression that the mSSD was supposed to speed up the system.

Thank you for the additional document. I will read it.

Top Student
scott_h
Message 8 of 12 (200 Views)

I believe you may have sent the wrong link. It appears to be a discussion of which hardware to use for a particular system. I am not looking to add any hardware.
Top Student
scott_h
Message 9 of 12 (169 Views)

Please tell me if physically removing the mSSD is the full extent of what is required to restore upgradability to 16 GB RAM and a SSD for primary storage.  

I selected the mSSD when hp built the computer to speed up the system (because the SSD option was expensive, and also only a 160 GB drive was available). When I chose the mSSD option I was prevented from selecting the 16 GB RAM option and also the SSD option. As I understood it, something about the mSSD prevented the system from being able to accesss the whole 16 GB RAM and there was  usome type of incompatibility between the mSSD and the SSD.

But now I want to make sure that if I go through the extensive steps to remove the mSSD, which includes removing the blu  ray burner drive and more, that my laptop will return to the condition as if ithe mSSD was never installed so that the computer can then use 16 BG RAM and a SSD with no problem.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 10 of 12 (162 Views)

Hi scott_h,

Thank you for your response.

I believe the mSSD  module that  is installed is an 8GB and that is the restriction. When you removed the mSSD the limitation is also removed. You will then be using on board RAM  which is upgradeable to 16GB RAM

You can remove them  mSDD from the system, install the SSD and then format the original drive, and use it to store your data on. Data is not an executionable file, so storing it on a secondary drive will help to keep the SSD free for your Operating System.

Please note page 24, item 8 in the maintenance service guide ( in the previous post). Your system only support up to 160GB SSD drive.  It does not support a 960GB SSD drive.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation