Question
dv6 quad pavilion ivy bridge: need to uninstall mSSD to upgrade HDD to SSD and install 16 GB RAM
Replies (11)

Top Student
scott_h
Message 11 of 12 (91 Views)

Re: dv6 quad pavilion ivy bridge: need to uninstall mSSD to upgrade HDD to SSD and install 16 GB RAM

I am hoping you are right that removing the 32GB mSSD will allow me to upgrade to 16GB RAM. It may somehow be acting as RAM or using the extra capacity in some manner.  I also wonder why ordering the 32GB mSSD prevented me from configuring the laptop with hp's 160GB SSD?

You wrote "Please note page 24, item 8 in the maintenance service guide ( in the previous post). Your system only support up to 160GB SSD drive.  It does not support a 960GB SSD drive."   I noticed that pages 23 - 27 are an extension of page 22 which illustrates the layout of the computer's major(original) components. I already understand that HP offered a 160GB SSD as option, but I would like to know please, where is it documented that my system will not support a larger SSD, and also, why won't it?

If there is a problem with the larger SSD then I have an additional concern.  I recently installed a 960GB SSD in my HP-G42-475DX.  ( I don't believe hp ever shipped any of these with an SSD )  So far it seems to work great, but after only 2 weeks of use I may not have been using it long enough perhaps to notice any problem? So, I may need to know of any limitation for an SSD for my HP-G42-475DX (and where I can find the documentation).  It has Phenom II N640 2.90 GHz, 4 GB RAM, and originally had 300GB HDD. ( I upgraded it to a 500 GB hybrid drive, but while the hybrid drive at 7200 rpm performed well, it generated too much heat for my lap. So I upgraded the hybrid to the 960 GB SSD to eliminate the extra heat and to further improve performance.)  If there is going to be a problem I would like to know about it sooner rather than later!

Thank You for your help

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 12 of 12 (87 Views)

Re: dv6 quad pavilion ivy bridge: need to uninstall mSSD to upgrade HDD to SSD and install 16 GB RAM

Hi scott_h,

Thank you for your response.

When I told you that your system does not support more then a 160GB SSD, that is not to say that a 960GB will not work in your system. It means that HP has not tested it and would not support it. It may work, if may not.

You state you installed one into your HP-G42-475DX and it is working fine, hopefully it will be the same result for this one.  Updates become available after computers are manufactured and can make a difference to what the system will recognize and install properly.  Good Luck!

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation