Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ive got a dv6113us that came with 1 GB of memory. I have upgraded to 2 GB and was wondering if there has been a BIOS update or something that will allow it to use 4 GB?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
The amount you have installed is the max supported. At this time there are no new BIOS rom files that allow the notebook to accept more.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
The amount you have installed is the max supported. At this time there are no new BIOS rom files that allow the notebook to accept more.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thats what I thought. thanks for the help.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a DV6160EU, which is I think very similar to the one you have and I was able to upgrade to 4Gb, even if the specs say it does not support it. If you search on google with the words dv6000 4gb upgrade, you will find other posts of people successfully upgrading their systems to 4Gb. 

Remember that you need a 64 bits OS if you want to be able to fully use this amount of memory. With a 32 bits OS, the available memory is only 3Gb, even if the bios shows 4Gb.

Please also note that if your system is still under warranty, it may be that HP will not support this 4Gb configuration because it's above their recommended value.

Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended
I've been trying to solve this problem, too. And what I've discovered belies some of the information that has been circulating on several forums.

I have two HP dv6000 series laptop PCs. One is Intel based (dv6000t CTO w/T7200 Merom CPU) and the other (my wife's) is AMD based (dv6140us w/TL-56 Trinidad CPU).

The AMD based system is running Vista Home Premium 32-bit and it recognizes (and uses) all of the 4GB that is installed. However, the Intel based system, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, recognizes 4GB, but reports only 3GB as usable.

Both systems have the latest respective BIOS.

I've given up trying to figure out by the lower end (and slower) AMD system uses all 4GB, while the Intel system doesn't. But since HP isn't offering WIN7 support for pre- dv6 systems, I think I'm going to solve the problem by simply upgrading to a new PC. Probably to a dv6t Quad Edition. But if someone out there knows what is causing the limitation with an Intel based dv6000 series PC, I'd love to know.
HP Recommended

FOLLOW UP: I later noticed (on the AMD based system w/Vista-x86 ) that although "my computer" properties reports 4GB is installed, the task manager reports <3000GB is installed. So it appears my assumption that the AMD based Vista system is using 4GB turns out to be wrong.

ALSO, I found a later BIOS for the Intel based system running WIN7-x64. The current BIOS listed on the model's "support" page is version F.29. But the HP "health scan" tool reported a later Intel based BIOS (version F.2D) was available. Since the system wouldn't flash under WIN7, I loaded Vista on a spare HD in order to flash it. Afterwards, I was hopeful that the newer BIOS would allow the system to use all 4GB, but my hopes were quickly dashed. Under Vista-x86, the computer properties displays 4GB installed, but the task manager still shows <3000MB (the same as the AMD based system). And in WIN7-x64, the computer properties displays "4GB (3GB useable)," while the task manager reports 3027MB installed.

Neither my AMD nor my Intel system uses the full 4GB; whether it's running Vista or WIN7, or whether it's running the x86 or x64 version. So MY OBVIOUS CONCLUSION is that the dv6000 simply cannot "use" 4GB regardless of the system configuration. My educated guess is that the limitation lies with the chipset, not the OS or the BIOS. If true, then the best solution is probably a new PC (or to be content with a perfectly adequate dv6000 as it is).

@westpenncyclist wrote:
I've been trying to solve this problem, too. And what I've discovered belies some of the information that has been circulating on several forums.

I have two HP dv6000 series laptop PCs. One is Intel based (dv6000t CTO w/T7200 Merom CPU) and the other (my wife's) is AMD based (dv6140us w/TL-56 Trinidad CPU).

The AMD based system is running Vista Home Premium 32-bit and it recognizes (and uses) all of the 4GB that is installed. However, the Intel based system, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, recognizes 4GB, but reports only 3GB as usable.

Both systems have the latest respective BIOS.

I've given up trying to figure out by the lower end (and slower) AMD system uses all 4GB, while the Intel system doesn't. But since HP isn't offering WIN7 support for pre- dv6 systems, I think I'm going to solve the problem by simply upgrading to a new PC. Probably to a dv6t Quad Edition. But if someone out there knows what is causing the limitation with an Intel based dv6000 series PC, I'd love to know.

HP Recommended

Hi

I am very enthusiastic about your post, haha. I own a AMD based dv6000 myself and knowing the PC is reporting you the 4GB of memory is in my opinion "excellent". 

Even when you are getting just 3GB of usable memory the fact that the system reports 4GB means the hardware is capable of addressing the entire 4gb. I am pretty sure that you just have 3GB of usable memory due to the limits on memory usage on Windows Client OS (Win XP, Vista, and 7) itself. Windows clients have a self imposed limit on mapping more than 4GB of memory addresses. That means that the system has to map all the devices (and specially the video card) plus the system RAM. When this mapping exceeds 4GB the OS just ignores everything over the 4GB limit. So in your case windows is ignoring 1GB completely. 

But if the system reports the 4GB also means a Windows Server OS could use the entire memory without any limitations. You can download a Windows Server 2008 trial and test it, you also get the nifty Vista interface with it. And maybe you can use a 64bit version of winserver and get your work done two times faster.

I always thought HP's  2GB limitation on this powerfull laptops was ridiculous. If you want to learn more about Windows Memory Limitations read this post: http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx its from Mark Russinovich blog, the creator of sysinternals tools at microsoft. 

I'll experiment with all of this myself but if you try it please let me know how it worked for you. 

Thanks

L. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem... But I don't think it is actually a problem. You see,  have the Nvidia Go 7400 GPU on my dv6000t, and it uses whatever RAM the computer doesn't. (or so I believe). I came to this conclusion, becuase, after I upgraded my PC to 4GB, the shared memory that my card was listed as utilizing in performance tools jumped to 1.5 GB!!! It may not be listed in the task manager, but your computer isn't necessarily wasting it. As is the case if you have a NVidia dedicated graphics card instead of the Intel 945.

HP Recommended

@donleoncio wrote:

Hi

I am very enthusiastic about your post, haha. I own a AMD based dv6000 myself and knowing the PC is reporting you the 4GB of memory is in my opinion "excellent". 

Even when you are getting just 3GB of usable memory the fact that the system reports 4GB means the hardware is capable of addressing the entire 4gb. I am pretty sure that you just have 3GB of usable memory due to the limits on memory usage on Windows Client OS (Win XP, Vista, and 7) itself. Windows clients have a self imposed limit on mapping more than 4GB of memory addresses. That means that the system has to map all the devices (and specially the video card) plus the system RAM. When this mapping exceeds 4GB the OS just ignores everything over the 4GB limit. So in your case windows is ignoring 1GB completely. 

But if the system reports the 4GB also means a Windows Server OS could use the entire memory without any limitations. You can download a Windows Server 2008 trial and test it, you also get the nifty Vista interface with it. And maybe you can use a 64bit version of winserver and get your work done two times faster.

I always thought HP's  2GB limitation on this powerfull laptops was ridiculous. If you want to learn more about Windows Memory Limitations read this post: http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx its from Mark Russinovich blog, the creator of sysinternals tools at microsoft. 

I'll experiment with all of this myself but if you try it please let me know how it worked for you. 

Thanks

L. 

Hey L,

Unfortunately, I'm not in position to test a server OS, but I would be curious to learn the results.

The AMD based dv6000z is now running WIN7x86 Home Premium. With 2GB installed, the system the Task Manager reports only about 1.8GB. It reports 2.7GB whether 3GB or 4GB is installed.

In the Intel based dv6000t, running WIN7x86 Pro, the Task Manager reports 3GB (3070MB) whether 3GB or 4GB is installed.

I read Russinovich's blog. But my PhD is in the humanities, not the sciences, so it's a bit over my head (at least at first glance). I've given up trying to understand the memory limitations of these models, and how the extra memory is being mapped.

The bottom line seems to be that if I really wanted and/or needed at least 4GB of system memory, then I'd need a new PC. But as long as these dv6000s run WIN7 as well as they do now, there really isn't any need for a new PC. Maybe when WIN8 is launched. Besides, I'm not too enamored with the design of the dv6 series. The 16:9 widescreen is nice, but it makes the laptop a bit more cumbersome than the dv6xx series.

jla

HP Recommended

Hi.

Your post was extremely helpful

I also have an Intel based dv6000t CTO w/T7200 Merom CPU purchased November 2006.

Original firmware and 1 giga of memory but now want to upgrade to 4 giga.

Latest firmware available is F.2E but read that only F28 supports 4 giga, F29 does not, not sure about F.2E. ¿What firmware did you install?

Also memory available now is 800Mhz, did you install 667 or 800 Mhz (not sure if 800 Mhz compatible or not).

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Best regards

Miguel

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.