Question

Honor Student
pradeepkk2009
Message 1 of 8 (4,203 Views)

dv6500 startup problem

Hello Guys,

I have HP Pavilion dv6500 laptop since June 2007. It was working fine till last month when it suddenly crashed ..I tried restarting it but when i press the start button the blue light doesnot stay, i have tried starting it withouht battery but it doesnot start..

I dont know where to take my laptop for diagnostics..I called UK Hardware support number , they just send me back to webiste..

Any help , suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Pradeep Khatri

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (4,186 Views)

Re: dv6500 startup problem

Try reseating the memory modules.  Then do a soft reset (remove battery and disconnect ac adapter and hold power button in for 30-60 second)s. Then install battery and try to restart it. If no go the plug in the ac adapter and try to boot it up.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
John_C
Message 3 of 8 (4,179 Views)

I have a dv6119 and recently have had difficulty turning on my computer. Also lost my audio. Found that by pressing down on the panel next to the power switch and then pressing the switch, I can turn on the computer - the power light is only active (blue) while I am pressing down, however the computer only needs the momentary contact to start up. Hope this helps.
Honor Student
pradeepkk2009
Message 4 of 8 (4,171 Views)

Thanks first of all for replying..I have tried the reseating memory module..doesnot work..i didnot understand your second part..can you please explain in detail..what do u mean by go in the ac..

Regards,

Pradeep

Honor Student
pradeepkk2009
Message 5 of 8 (4,169 Views)

I will try this option out..let see if it works...
Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (4,148 Views)

[ Edited ]

I didn't realize that your thread was hijacked by John_C.

John_C... that is not so nice to do. You should have started your own thread.The following information is for John_C.

it sounds as if you need to remove the cover on the case just forward and below the display and reseat the connectors for the power button board. I will see if I can find some instructions for you. here is a link to the pdf format service manual for the dv6000 series. There is a section that shows how to do what you need in Removal and Replacement procedures numbered 5.13. There might be as simple a problem as loose screws. BTW for a laptop, jewelers screwdrivers are required. Normal garage tools are not sufficient. Use a small box to put the tiny screws in as they are quite easy to misplace.

There are three ZIF connectors on the board and two of them are loose and causing your power and audio issue. I expect the problems are at the most forward connector and the one on the right had side. The flat ribbon cable plugs directly into the connector. Handle them gently

For Pradeepkk (author of this thread). By AC adapter, I mean the device that plugs into the wall that transforms household power in DC power.  It has a connector that you plug into your laptop.  Disconnect that when you soft reset your laptop. The disassembly is not for your issue.
Message Edited by erico on 05-23-2009 02:01 AM
Message Edited by erico on 05-23-2009 02:02 AM
Message Edited by erico on 05-23-2009 02:06 AM

Message Edited by erico on 05-23-2009 02:10 AM
Message Edited by erico on 05-23-2009 04:41 AM

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
pradeepkk2009
Message 7 of 8 (4,137 Views)

Hello Guys,

I have tried all the options..I belive and I have been told its a mother board problem..do you know how much it will cost if I go for HP Support and Repair program..

Thanks

Pradeep

Student
grrr_hp
Message 8 of 8 (4,050 Views)

hey, do a search before you spend any dosh. The power switch ribbon cable is a design issue with Pavilions. If you search with the term "power switch" you will see the posts.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation