dv7-3079wm BD/DVD/CD drive grinding sound won't read CD-R data discs help! (1030 Views)
Student
WV2713
Message 1 of 2 (1,030 Views)

dv7-3079wm BD/DVD/CD drive grinding sound won't read CD-R data discs help!

Hello, I have a dv7-3079wm, Windows 7 64bit notebook.  The optical drive inside is a hp BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device YC09. Driver details: Provider Microsoft. Driver version 6.1.7600.16385. Driver Date 6/21/2006.  I have run searches for any new firmware and/or drivers and nothing comes up no matter where I attempt to see if new ones are available.  Here is problem I am experiencing:   When I insert a CD-R data disc or CD-RW data disc into optical drive it doesn't just make that happy spinning sound and open up the disc.  It makes a grinding noise, seems like it is trying to figure out what to do.  After much awful noise, it eventually just pops open and dialog box reads Please insert a disc.  This happens with CD-R/RW that are data (files, photos, pdf, docs, etc) that were burned on other computers (one person uses Nero for his burn software if that helps).  I have tried changing the AutoPlay settings to each of the choices available, including do nothing option.

This DOES NOT HAPPEN when I insert a DVD (I have autoplay to use Windows Media Player to view DVDs) and they open, play and no problems.  What can I do to make this work again?  It worked initially when I purchased the notebook, but suddenly started doing this.  The noise is scary, but doesn't seem to make the thing not work at all...just can't seem to identify the CD-R/RW disc at all and eventually just ejects the tray.  Please help me find out what I can do to fix this.  I thought maybe it is just autoplay settings but that doesn't seem to help.  Please help me.  I am not trying to BURN discs.  I am trying to put CD-R/RW data discs into the bloody thing so I can open and view them.  Please help.  Thank everyone who answers in advance for helping.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (1,018 Views)

Re: dv7-3079wm BD/DVD/CD drive grinding sound won't read CD-R data discs help!

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Check if the drive will now read CDs.

If it still doesn't, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it is now able to read  CDs.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation