Question

Student
Peldoni48
Message 1 of 3 (89 Views)

dv9700 wireless adapter reducing internet connection speeds to single digits

My Pavilion dv9700 notebook was built in 2008, running on Vista Ultimate (64-bit), SP2. None of the internal components have been replaced.  I am having issues with broadband speeds. Cable company tech came out and did his troubleshooting. After confirming that I was getting the appropriate internet speed when he connected the computer directly to the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem he thought it might be a wireless router issue. He replaced my Samsung CY-SWR1100 dual band modem with a Netgear n300 (WN2000) modem but that wasn't the cause for the slow speeds. He said he'd that I needed to update my wireless adapter. He seemed to think it would be a relatively easy fix either by a flash update or part replacement.

I've tried to determine if this is something that is commonplace or if it is more specific to my equipment but cannot find anything on the subject matter. Lots of information about replacing a wireless adapters, incompatible adapters, white list, etc. but nothing about the subject of reduced internet connections speeds.

Is it, in fact, an adapter issue? Windows device manager identifies it as Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN. Can it be resolved by replacing the part?

The connection speeds: modem to computer DL 105.85mbps/UL12.08mbps; wireless router DL7.86 mbs/UL1.6 mbps

HP Pavilion dv9700

p/n GT811AV

Vista Ultimate (64-bit), SP2

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (80 Views)

Re: dv9700 wireless adapter reducing internet connection speeds to single digits

Before you resort to hardware fixes you might think about the fact that Vista sometimes chokes off your internet connection by default. Here is a software program that will optimize the TCP/IP settings:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/TCP-Optimizer.shtml

It would also be easy to replace the wireless card but you would have to get an identical replacement part with an HP Part Number. The card you have is the highest and best type of card offered on your model series, and should provide good performance. 

Honor Student
Peldoni
Message 3 of 3 (46 Views)

Re: dv9700 wireless adapter reducing internet connection speeds to single digits

Thanks for the suggestion to consider OS obstacles before resorting to hardware fixes. I remember reading something about how Windows restricts the number of connections to some ridiculously low number as a means of protecting the system from intrusion by people with bad intentions.

I've downloaded the Optimizer and will learn how to use it when I get some down time. Looks like it's not automatic. I'm going to have to figure out what settings I should use and how to make the changes.

I will report back the outcome. Thanks!

HP Expert, NOT! :smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation