Question

Honor Student
jon12345
Message 1 of 10 (155 Views)

envy 14 - how to work through power and not use up the battery cycles?

Wishing to preserve my battery life, and considering that I mostly use the laptop in spots where I have access to wall plugs and therefore don't need use battery power, I would like to know how I can disconnect and reconnect my battery (without touching hardware) . 

i want to avoid charging and discharging my battery needlessly. 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 10 (135 Views)

Re: envy 14 - how to work through power and not use up the battery cycles?

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

It is actually good to use the battery once in a while -- about once a month you should run the system on battery until the point where the battery is low.

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 8)

Improving Battery Performance

Brilliant Posting Advice

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Intern
aarzy888
Message 3 of 10 (131 Views)

Also im prity sure most laptop batterys are "quick release" no need for any tools

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" "and is it definitely plug in"
Honor Student
jon12345
Message 4 of 10 (122 Views)

Thank you !

I still don't know how to disable the battery, so that I can use ac power only, without sending charge into the battery. 

could you advise me on how to do that? 

Kind regards 

Jon

Intern
aarzy888
Message 5 of 10 (119 Views)

the only way is to take the battery out my good man.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" "and is it definitely plug in"
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 6 of 10 (116 Views)

Jon,

Don't over think it -- the battery may be "sealed", that is, the battery is not to be removed unless absolutely necessary.  Batteries of this type, set in a "screwed in" location under the notebook are not meant to be removed.

Just run the system on battery every so often to drain it and let it reset (charge back to capacity).  The battery will stay healthy and happy that way.

IF the battery is removable, then there will be an obvious little sliding mechanism on the battery case that is located on the bottom of your notebook.  If you find this is the case, then just remove the battery if you want.

If you really want that battery out of there, remove it.  It is your computer and you are the Admin.  Smiling.

Be aware that if you remove the battery and something catastropic happens to your AC connection, you could lose your data -- or worse.

Happy Computing!

Click the Kudos Star!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Intern
aarzy888
Message 7 of 10 (114 Views)

Sorry Dragon-Fur my bad.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 8 of 10 (99 Views)

aarzy888,

No "bad".   I believe the OP may have his own reasons for wanting to run without the battery.

When it comes down to it, the OP owns and controls the computer -- if he wants to try an run it without a battery, run it with Christmas lights attached, or leave it sitting in a circle of flowers, then that is the right of the Admin.  Smiling.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
jon12345
Message 9 of 10 (73 Views)

Haha .

Thanks guys.

So, once the battery is fully charged, i can keep the laptop plugged in without worrying about reducing the life of my battery? does the battery close off once charged? 

I have since decided to remove my laptop from the circle of flowers. I am looking for a good deal on christmas lights, though.   

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 10 of 10 (67 Views)

Jon,

The battery will last... well as long as it lasts.  If you take care of it -- using the notebook on battery every so often to drain the battery and then charging it -- the battery will last longer than if you always run on AC.

There is no guarantee that the battery will last for years either way -- some batteries last as long as the warranty and others last for the life of the notebook (two - nine years in my experience).

Perhaps you could buy an additonal battery from HP and keep it around -- that way you have a battery that is being used as intended and a spare for the chance that all the extra care comes to naught.

Happy Computing.

Click the Kudos Star!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation