Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello,
I badly need your help.My problem is that when i switch on my laptop after it has load and before i put my password i get a message on a black screen, the message is as follows:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot open volume for direct access.
windows has finished checking the disk.

I am using windows vista.Can you please help me to solve my problem.
Waiting for your reply.

regards

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Sometimes you can correct the error by running Windows Update in the Control Panel.

Is your computer current and Updated?

yes my computer is current and updated..how can i solve that problem?

HP Recommended

You should run a chkdsk as administrator. In the start menu type "cmd" in the run box. You will get a command prompt. Right click on the icon and choose run as administrator. In the actual dos-looking black box, at the command prompt type "chkdsk C:  /r" with a space between the colon and forward slash. Do not type the quote marks. The sytem will need to reboot and will run the chkdsk before Windows can boot. Let it finish. Your hard drive has got a "dirty" mark and will want to run chkdsk until it is removed by finishing the chkdsk. There may well be a problem with the drive.

HP Recommended

when i have run the "cmd" in the black screen i got the following:

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk C: /r

The type of the file is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Y

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

C:\Windows\system32>

After that i got the same message that is "C:\Windows\system32>" and nothing happens

HP Recommended

After you entered the command, did you reboot. It requires a reboot.

yes i have reboot but the error message is still here..How to solve that error, can you plz help me..

HP Recommended

I think you are going to have to access the drive and run chkdsk using a bootable Windows 7 recovery disk. Here is how to make one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

Boot from the disk and get a command prompt supplied by the recovery disk. Then run chkds c: /r again from that command line. It should allow you to run it.

HP Recommended

i'm using windows vista on my laptop, how can i use windows 7 recovery disk.

is there any windows vista recovery disk to solve that problem.

HP Recommended
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.