Question

Honor Student
SImon_B
Message 1 of 11 (71,046 Views)
Accepted Solution

fan keeps running

I have a HP G70 120EA with windows vista basic.

The fan on my laptop is constantly running on full. Ordinarily the fan runs intermittently throughout the day and is generally quiet but at the moment it is running non stop. The laptop isn't overheating and the performance is not affected but the fan shouldn't be running like this all the 

I've installed a BIOS update but that hasn't resolved the problem, can anyone help me?

Honor Student
SImon_B
Message 2 of 11 (71,021 Views)

Re: fan keeps running

Is there anyone that can help me or provide some suggestions?

My laptop is starting to overheat quite badly now and I'm getting concerned.

Teacher
CyberVisions
Message 3 of 11 (71,052 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you've had your system for at least 6-12 months, then it's at the point where it's likely enough dust and particles have gotten into the fans and filters, and the ducts to start affecting system operating temperature. If your fan is running constantly, that's the most likely case, especially if you don't or haven't kept the intakes and exhausts blown out every couple of weeks or so. Notebooks can draw in a lot of dust and dirt, especially for people who actually use them on their "laps" and not on a hard surface as required for proper cooling and ventilation. A notebook's fan intakes are on the bottom, the exhaust usually at the rear corners. Regardless of how clean your environment may be, clothing & skin particles, hair, dust, dirt, you name it and it will eventually get inside your system. For most notebooks, depending on size, it happens between 6 - 18 months, usually around 12-16, before they start having heating issues due to dirt and debris inside. Generally though, the smaller the system, the faster it accumulates, though it's also dependent on how often it's being used.

Clothing fibers and particles are especially a problem, and also why you should never use your notebook on your lap. One, it blocks the intakes, and two, most clothing is made of a cotton blend, and cotton is a great heat insulator, something you don't want inside your system. Bare skin is as bad or worse, as it contains skin particles, hair, and other things you don't normally see that can get into your system.

You can first try blowing out the intakes and exhausts - they'll be obvious from the dust around them. Blow it out while the unit is running. Realistically though, eventually you'll need to pull the top cover and keyboard to get the inside to do a good cleaning/blowout to do any real good. If your fan is where it's at running all the time, then you're already at that point.

There's a common HP Support Bulletin that's linked to your system's Support Page and many other systems that covers this issue:

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents

Fan Runs Constantly, the PC Operates Slower than Expected and Generates Heat

To remove the cover and keyboard assembly, the HP Services Media Library shows you the procedure and a Video Demo on exactly how to perform the instructions given to remove and replace different FRU's (Field Replaceable Units). While it doesn't specifically tell you how to perform preventative maintenance functions (something I've suggested they add to it), you can use it to disassemble the top cover and remove the keyboard to get at the fans and ducts to blow out the dust.

HP SERVICES MEDIA LIBRARY

HP SERVICES MEDIA LIBRARY, G70 100 SERIES NOTEBOOK FRU'S

It's really not as hard as you might think. The key is keeping a good track of which screws go where, and for novices there's a couple of easy ways to do that.

1. Some use a muffin pan - I don't like them personally as a professional though. All it takes is for you, your kid, you dog, cat, lizard, whatever, to knock it off the table and you're "screwed" literally while you die in agony watching every screw you've removed go flying in every direction.

2. Parts case - Use a plastic parts holder, number them with a marker, and write down on paper where the screws for each numbered compartment go to. Keep the lid on the holder closed while you're working. Better, but still not great.

3. Tape and Paper - my own personal favorite. Get a roll of 2" blue masking tape. Tear off a strip long enough to cover a piece of paper or poster board, and fold back the ends, taping them to the surface with the sticky side out. On the paper/board, etc. write down the screw locations, and stick each screw/part to the tape. When you pull them off, the sticky stuff won't stick to it, yet it's strong enough to hold small parts very well.

Of course I've been doing it for so many years I don't use anything but my memory anymore, as they're all pretty much the same. But if you've never done it, using one of those systems can really help you avoid a real disaster.

Air - use canned air, and have at least 2 or 3 cans available, and do it in a room that has a fan to blow the dust either outside or at least away from the system. NEVER USE a vacuum cleaner on any electronic system - laminar air flow at the nozzle tip causes extreme static charges that can literally destroy components. ESD rated vacuums are very expensive, so don't even think about it. Non-conductive tips aren't as effective either - it's best to avoid them altogether, though you can use them at a distance to suck up any dust you've blown off. I've always used a HEPA filter or a fan to blow the dust out or suck up the dust from any system I'm working on at the time so it doesn't get sucked back in when I'm done.

I say to have more than one can of air because the propellant gets useless after about 30 seconds of spraying, until it warms up again. So unless you want to spray and keep waiting, have several so you can use one, then another as the other recovers.

Make sure you keep your system plugged into an electrical outlet also while you're doing this - you don't want it powered of course, but having it plugged into a grounded outlet gives you better ESD protection when working inside a system. Never touch an exposed electronic component unless it's by its sides, or if you're grounded as well.

You should also download and install HWMonitor, a very handy and widely used system internal monitoring program. It measure the temperatures of all key components and fans. You can get it at http://www.CPUID.com

This should get you fixed up. I know it seems like a hassle, but it's easier than you might think, and a lot cheaper (and safer) than letting some bozo at Best Buy or somewhere else charge you a couple of hundred bucks for it, and you can bet cash money they'll find  something else besides just dust. 

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

Honor Student
SImon_B
Message 4 of 11 (71,006 Views)

Thank you CyberVisions for your thorough and detailed response, I couldn't have asked for more.

I will try all the things you've suggested but HP have agreed to take my laptop in for a service next week anyway so that should resolve the situation.

I'll certainly keep your response for further reference in case a similar scenario arises.

Once more thank you for the time and effort you put into your reply.

Student
sammyi
Message 5 of 11 (68,773 Views)

AC Adaptor too low to charge this computer

my system c 6735s would not charge after this message. WARNING AC ADAPTOR IS TOO LOW TO CHARGE THIS COMPUTER. My adapter is d specified one. what do i do. my battery is now flat
Student
elewis121
Message 6 of 11 (68,654 Views)

I have the same problem on 2 of the 4 HP laptops I have here at the house. No joy on this solution.

Now what? 

In searching the net, there seems to be a lot of laptopm OEMs provide managment applications for settings relating to the operation of the CPU Fan as well as BIOS settings (though those seem to be either on or off).

Does HP have a CPU Fan Management application installed on a dv6810us running Vista Ultimate, 64bit, fully patched? 

Does Vista 64 have a fan utility?

Honor Student
kg3413
Message 7 of 11 (65,856 Views)

If you can get to the heat sinks, blow the dust out between the cracks as well. Use short, 0.5 second puffs from the aircan

and space them one second apart to avoid freeze-up of can and damage to components.

NEVER make the fan spin with the aircan blast, as it is not designed to withstand activation other than by internal signals.

A common cause of excessive fan blowing is dirty heat sinks. 

Student
gtomasky
Message 8 of 11 (43,406 Views)

I just received my HP Pavillion DV6 back from HP for this very problem and it is still not resolved.  This is the 2nd time I sent it in for repair for this problem.  I just turned the computer on and the fan is very loud (louder than normal) and running non stop before the computer even had a chance to warm up.  I've worked with HP for hours on multiple occasions and the problem of the fan running non stop persists.  I have reloaded the bios twice and sent it back to HP twice to reimage the hard drive and the problem is not fixed.  Very frustrating as I purchased an extended warranty but cannot get rid of the problem.  They do attempt to fix it with me each time I call but after loosing 5 hours on the phone over the 3 occurrences and 2 weeks without my computer I am ready to give in and purchase a replacement.  If they could have fixed this problem for me they probably would have earned a loyal customer, but I will not buy HP again because of all the wasted time.  I hope you have better luck than I have.

Intern
thomasr1950
Message 9 of 11 (28,357 Views)

I have a HP dv 7 t, fan has started running continually until I turn it off. Today I got the message about running start up repair, didn't fix the issue. I updated bios, did system restore. Fan still runs. Now running In Test, do far 8 tests completed, no error found. Even after turning pc off overnight the fan or hd starts running. I just hear something running like the dan or hd. The message said harm could be done to pc. After 2 1/2 hrs of running the in test nothing has changed. I can turn pc on, runs normal. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tom
HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 10 of 11 (27,449 Views)

Hi Thomas,

I understand your fan is running continually on your Hp DV7 laptop. Here is a document on how to update the BIOS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00007682

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation