Question

Tutor
Abolfazl
Message 1 of 5 (326 Views)
Accepted Solution

fan turns off when it reaches high RPMs

i have a pavilion dv6-6170us laptop.when i'm working with windows and browsing the web fan works normally but when i run a game or the cpu usage goes up and temperture increases the fan works faster but after a few minutes( 3-5) it turns off and then off again.this happens a few times and then the fan completely stops working.cpu temperture reaches 90-95 degrees(centigrades) and i have to turn the laptop off in order to avoid hardware damage.after turning the laptop again  i get a 70B error code that says fand doesn't function properly. but after leaving it for about an hour or more it starts to work normally again.and when i open the task manager i see the cpu usage almost always is at 20-25 % but there is no process this heavy. 
any suggestions?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 5 (319 Views)

Re: fan turns off when it reaches high RPMs

Welcome to the forum!

I suggest that either you are not allowing enough circulation to the vents so the computer can cool itself

OR

The gaming is pushing the system to the point where it cannot cool itself adequately.

• As a Reference, please see the following documents to assure your computer is doing what it can to cool itself.

HP Notebook PCs - System Fan (90b) error message on startup

This error indicates a cooling fan issue and urgent attention is required.

Fan Runs Constantly, the PC Notebook Operates Slower than Expected and Generates Heat

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents - notebooks

Commentary

As a gamer, you are a prime candidate for adding a notebook cooler under your hot-running computer.  You can buy cheap or you can buy fancy -- almost any cooler will help at this point.  You can buy coolers with on/off switches, dual fans, adjustable or removable fans and fancy "gamer" lights that do not "do" anything, but for some folks, are a nice touch.  You can connect the cooler to a powered hub if you like.

There is a reason that many gamers run desktop monsters -- these can be cooled by a variety of specialty fans and cooling methods that are easier to adapt to the desktop system.    If the right precautions are set in place, one can certainly use a high-performance notebook as a gaming station.

The "never do this list" includes but is not limited to:

Never run your notebook on a carpet, on the couch, on your lap, on a pile of clothes, or on grass.  Avoid direct sunlight as this might intensify the heating factor.   Avoid overly warm environments -- if the air coming into the notebook vents is as hot as the notebook, then the notebook won't be as able to cool itself.

DO use a notebook cooler when you are pushing the limits.

Hope this helps!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who offer to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Abolfazl
Message 3 of 5 (316 Views)

thanks for the answer.

the problem is that the fan no longer can stay at high speeds.it just works at high speed for a few minutes and then fails.
it wasn't like this before.do you suggest a hardware diagnostics?
my friend has an exact same laptop as me but its fan doesn't stop at high tempertures

Tutor
Abolfazl
Message 4 of 5 (314 Views)

sorry for the double post. is there any software to monitor the fan speed?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 5 (307 Views)

Abolfazl,

I am not a "fan expert".  I do not know of a fan-only diagnostic, but you might certainly run a full system diagnostic on the computer to find out what you can about the status of the hardware.

Recommended reading:

Reducing Heat Inside the PC - c01657439

Excerpted from the Guide:

Step 4: Test for hardware failure
If issues persist after cleaning the vents and moving the computer to a cooler room, a hardware component might be damaged. Test the computer to see if any hardware, such as memory, the processor, or the graphics hardware, have failed. Most HP and Compaq notebook computers have diagnostic software to verify hardware failures. For more information, see Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 8) , Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7 and Windows Vista) , or Checking Your Notebook PC Using the HP System Health Scan (Windows XP) .

If hardware has failed, either replace the bad component or Contact HP (in English) for further assistance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have any system monitors in place at this time - my current setup does not require constant monitoring and the systems for which I did use monitoring have been recently retired or removed from Windows service.

You might be interested in the following, if it will work on your configuration:
SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commentary

Having the "exact same notebook" as another person may or may not be relevant in the manner you suggest.  Items that may make an "exact" comparison more difficult include but are not limited to:  Small differences in the manner in which a system is set up, the BIOS version and settings, the programs that one system runs verses the programs running on another system, manufacturer's or vendors revision of the motherboard, differences in the graphics / video setup or devices, differences in internet connectivity.

This is not to say that systems are not very similar; your situation may be such that the systems are identical as much as can be possible.  Given that is the case, then it is more likely that the hardware will respond accordingly.

You might run diagnostics on both systems as a benchmark.

Be sure you have all your backups in order BEFORE you make any changes - and you might have the backups done before you even run the diagnostics.  You know... just in case.

Good Luck!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who offer to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation