Question

Tutor
FrankFontaine
Message 1 of 7 (300 Views)
Accepted Solution

g7-2235dx - Memory Slot Defective/Memory Does Not Fit In Slot

Recently I purchased a 4GB module of DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 for my laptop. I recieved it today and proceded to install it following the direcitons given in my laptop's user manuel. But the memory never snapped into place. It seems like the retention clips are not long enough or there is something blocking the module from going into the memory slot fully. I found this odd. After finding that the memory did not fit into the slot, I removed the factory HP memory module from it's slot and attempted to put it into the spare/defective slot. It also did not fit. Just for clarification, I tested the purchased memory in the workign slot and the memory works perfectly. I am wondering what might be the issue with my memory slot.

I called HP support and they said it would cost me $290 for the slot to be repaired. I find that way to much considering I only paid $300 for the laptop itself.

Any help is apprechiated.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (284 Views)

Re: g7-2235dx - Memory Slot Defective/Memory Does Not Fit In Slot

[ Edited ]

This is two stacked memory slots, right? Look inside the offending slot and see if maybe there is a chunk of dirt in there. It would not take much to block the memory module from seating fully. If you see something in there blow it out with compressed air.

This is the picture of the memory slot from the Service Manual. It does not do a good job of showing that there are 2 stacked slots. They are slightly offset so the top module is a bit below the bottom module when both are in place. Was the original single module in the top or bottom slot; likely the bottom?

Tutor
FrankFontaine
Message 3 of 7 (276 Views)

I checked the slot and there appears to be no blockage, at least as far as I can see. And you are correct in saying that the original single module occupied the bottom slot.
Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 7 (268 Views)

Then it is a one in a million manufacturing defect in the memory slot component. The only fix is going to be a new motherboard, I am afraid.

Tutor
FrankFontaine
Message 5 of 7 (262 Views)

[ Edited ]

So what are my repair options? I don't want to end up paying the equivalent of a new laptop in bills.

Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 7 (256 Views)

A motherboard itself is going to be at least $125. Then there is labor. Of course it does work. I would put 4 gigs in it in the one good slot and just use it.
Tutor
FrankFontaine
Message 7 of 7 (204 Views)

The slot is defective and I didn't want to pay the fees for a new motherboard. I have sold that laptop and purchased a new HP ENVY 15z-j000, so far so good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation