Question

Honor Student
hpgirl42
Message 1 of 6 (1,117 Views)

hinge broken in HP ENVY Ultrabook

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have an HP ENVY Ultrabook and even though I've always been very careful with it, the right hinge has cracked on the spot where it connects with the display frame. I was opening the notebook and heard a cracking sound and the right side is now off the hinge. If I try to put the hinge back inside the display frame then I can't close the laptop. The warranty expired one month ago, so do you have recommendations on how to fix it? Would the geek squad or the likes repair this without charging an arm and a leg? or is it something easy enough to do it myself? I'm wondering if it is just the hinge that needs to be replaced, or if the hinge is actually attached to something else and I need to buy the full set of whatever part that is. Thanks!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 6 (1,096 Views)

Re: hinge broken in HP ENVY Ultrabook

With all due respect Geek Squad is the last place I would go. They will send it out to someplace else and they will charge an arm and a leg if not other appendages as well.

We do need your exact specific model so I can point you to parts and an instruction manual. What happens is that the hinge freezes up and since it cannot bend it stresses its mounting points. Sometimes it just needs a new hinge and other times it has torn up mounting points and plastic parts. I almost have to have pictures to do a full diagnostic.

The hard part is figuring out what all needs to be replaced, but if a lot needs to be replaced it can also be real hard and some of the plastic case pieces tend to be pricey. Hinges are relatively cheap.

Honor Student
hpgirl42
Message 3 of 6 (1,092 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, it is an HP ENVY Ultrabook 6t-1000, product number A9G58AV, serial number CND2350JP9.  I'll be happy to send you pics if needed. Thank you!!

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 6 (1,078 Views)

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Page 69. Here are the hinges:

Display hinges 686596–001

Unfortunately, your model is one that is only supposed to be worked on by an authorized tech. Also the hinges are outrageously expensive and rare to find:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/686596-001-HP-DISPLAY-HINGES-/321199922117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a...

In order to make this workable I think we are going to have to scour the internet for a reasonably priced part, but it might take a while. I am sorry for getting your hopes up but these Ultrabooks defy some of the conventional wisdom on laptop repair. I hate to say that they are "replace only" but $52 display hinges are out of line.

Honor Student
hpgirl42
Message 5 of 6 (1,072 Views)

Thank you!. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, hopefully it is fixable without additional parts. Would you have a recommendation on an authorized tech? I'm in the Houston area, close to zip codes 77377 or 77070.

Honor Student
nat1900
Message 6 of 6 (309 Views)

Same here ! Mine have been broken 3 times, 2 times right hinge, 1 - left hinge, the last time i had to pay 96 pounds to fix it because it is out of the warranty , I am afraid it will happen soon... it is a failure product , hinges are made of plastic and not strong enough to hold the screen on. I am trying to figure out a complain against HP under The Uniform Commercial Code Article 2, anybody did go through it ? please help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation