Question

Honor Student
smpurdy218
Message 1 of 8 (263 Views)

how do I replace a key on my keyboard?

The backspace key on my G60-247 has popped off. I thought it might just fit right back on but no such luck.  Any suggestions?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (235 Views)

Re: how do I replace a key on my keyboard?

Honor Student
smpurdy218
Message 3 of 8 (229 Views)

Thank you very much for the video.  It appears that my key still has the white piece attached to it.  Should attempt to remove it from the key and reattach it to the board or is that not a good idea?  I hate to buy a whole new keyboard but I'm not sure how complicated it will be to remove the white piece.    

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 4 of 8 (227 Views)

smpurdy218 wrote:

Thank you very much for the video.  It appears that my key still has the white piece attached to it.  Should attempt to remove it from the key and reattach it to the board or is that not a good idea?  I hate to buy a whole new keyboard but I'm not sure how complicated it will be to remove the white piece.

Does it seem like it had been broken off, or just popped off?

Message 5 of 8 (224 Views)

You have to take off the white "sawhorse" pieces and set them up on the board and you wind up popping the key in place, if all goes well. It is very delicate work and my eyes and patience are well beyond being able to do it easily. When I have done it I sometimes wind up spending an hour trying to set it all up correctly. On the other hand, there is a 25 year old in the shop where I help out who seems to be able to do it in 10-15 minutes. I do know you have to closely examine the mounting points on the board and the little white pieces. If the microscopic tabs and holes on the mounting pieces ("sawhorse") are deformed or broken, or if the little metal mounting points pn the board are bent or broken, it will not work.  A new keyboard can be purchased for as little as $30 and even I can install a new keyboard in about ten minutes. Check ebay for a new keyboard or let me know and I will give you a direct link to one and instructions on how to replace it.

Honor Student
smpurdy218
Message 6 of 8 (221 Views)

It looks like it just  popped off with the sawhorse piece attached.   Everything appears to be fine physically.  I may just give it a try and see if I can fix it but if I see I'm spending more time on it than necessary (read: more than 30 minutes with the white piece alone), I'll just get another keyboard.  I would certainly appreciate the video showing how to install the board. Guess I'd better figure out a way to keep my 18 month old in better check and away from the computer... :smileyhappy:

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 7 of 8 (219 Views)

Hey, it's not a terrible idea! But if you get some time in the future, maybe worth fixing. I appreciate you giving the community the chance to help you with your issue! If you ever get around to ficxing that key, let us know if you need help!

Message 8 of 8 (211 Views)

No video for replacing the keyboard but here is the Service Manual:

Manual

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation