Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Too bad this was already marked "Solved" - the real solution is here (yes, finally!!): 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-13-4000-x360-Convertible-PC/7527520/model...

Details

This package provides an update to the System BIOS. The update installs on supported notebook models using a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is necessary to restart the system to complete the installation.

File name: sp71418.exe

Release details

Released: May 18, 2015

Version F.13 Rev.A

Fix and enhancements

- Fixes an intermittent issue which causes the system to shutdown unexpectedly while the system is in idle mode. - Provides the ability to enable or disable the LED of the F5 key.
- Provides the improved help messages for the Administrator Password, the Power-On Password, the POST Hotkey Delay (Sec), and USB Charging in the F10 BIOS setup option.
------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

@Holly_J

Thanks for the Update! :generic:

True -- The Solution is now different to the extent that a "real" solution is now newly available.  Smiling.  Things do change -- Excellent catch, by the way.

========================================================

Updating the Bios

Please remember that updating your BIOS does bring with it some risk -- please do follow some general safe-guards to help make sure your notebook will still be more than an expensive paper weight after the Update procedure.

For example,

• Do not Update the BIOS while running your notebook on Battery - always run on AC power while Updating your BIOS.
  • Disconnect extraneous hardware - external hard drives, external speakers, extra monitors, that sort of thing.
  • Make sure your backups are current -- make sure your backups are current -- MAKE SURE YOUR BACKUPS are current.
  • Remember, too, that backups are only backups if there is more than one of them, else that single copy is a single point of failure waiting to happen.  Back up your most critical data twice or even more than that, perhaps to the cloud, an external drive, and to a USB drive.

Reference

Updating the BIOS

=============================================================

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the Kudos "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I noticed that the version F.13 BIOS seems to have been pulled from the support site for the Spectre X360 but not until after I have already upgraded to it. Was there some problem with that BIOS that caused it to be pulled?

Just wondering if I should be reverting back to version F.12 (if that's even possible).

HP Recommended

The link was missing - there's nothing wrong with it, and if you have already applied it the fix should be working for you. No worries!

For anyone who has not found/applied it, the link should be working again:

Please go to Drivers & Downloads: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html 

Find the updates for your model and look for BIOS update F.13 - this enables you to turn off the permanent backlighting of the F5 key.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.