Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

I have bought this new HP envy 15-j004sa laptop and I am already having few problems with my typing.

For example, when I try to type @ by pressing the key, where the @ mark is printed, with the shift key, " comes out.

So to solve this, I have visited tech support and asked what the problem is, they said that it is because I have programmed my sub language as Japanese when I set up. They said that this keyboard was originally UK version but it's turned into US version when I've changed my language so that different signs/symbols come out with the different keys.

At that point, I understood and thought it would be alright if I only be careful with @ mark since i can type normally, like now.

However, there's this new problem, I can't type backslash. I can see backslash printed on the key which is next to the shift key on the left bottom, but when i press it ¥ comes out.

Where can I find blackslash? and is there any copy of UK keyboard and US keyboard so I can find each sign/symbol when I needed but can't type?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Noma,

I am not at all sure I understand what happened - I speak and type only English (OK, plus a TINY bit of Spanish) and I have never changed a keyboard language for my purposes.

I just described a similar method to the one shown below to help a member find the Pi symbol.

Using Windows 8.1 (and probably works in other recent OS - Windows 😎

Control Panel > icon view > Fonts > Find a character >

at top, next to Font, select Arial (or other font of your choice) >

CHECK Advanced View > in Character Set, select "DOS: United States"

If using Font Arial, then look at the third row from the top, far right side >

Click on the "backslash" sign > Click "Select" > Click "Copy" >

Open Word, Notebook, whatever >> Right Click and "Paste"

This is, admittedly, a hack -- a workaround -- I do not know how to fix your keyboard except by selecting an appropriate font set that can handle whatever language you prefer.

More information:

Control Panel > icon view > Language >

For example, if "English (United States) is selected >> Right side of blue box >> Options > Add an input method

I hope that helps you track down a solution that works for you.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

if you can't find your back slash key???

just go to the CONTROLL PANEL click on LANGUAGE then click on the OPTION then change your keyboard lay to US layout and click on SAVE  and then your keyboard back slash key will work.

THANXXX

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.