hp 4510s probook - touchpad pinch--to-zoom disable (23074 Views)
Honor Student
vasheck
Message 1 of 11 (23,074 Views)

hp 4510s probook - touchpad pinch--to-zoom disable

As the subject descibes... I'm trying to figure out how to disable the "pinch-to-zoom" on HP 4510s ProBook.

It's extremely annoying to be zooming in/out while typing in (e.g. MS Word) if I accidently touch the touchpad with my thumb(s). I'm not looking for adjusting the sensitivity of the touchpad. I have done that. I'm looking for completely disabling the feature.

Any suggestions or a link to a manual would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Master's Graduate
muka3D
Message 2 of 11 (23,045 Views)

Re: hp 4510s probook - touchpad pinch--to-zoom disable

[ Edited ]

Hello vasheck, Fortunately, it is relatively easy to configure your touchpad to suit your preferences.

To start, open up the Control Panel from the Start menu. Then, change to "Classic View" (Vista) or change icon display to "Small icons" (Windows 7).

Double-click on "Mouse", and the Mouse Properties dialog will open up.

Click the "Device Settings" tab. Under the list of Synaptics devices installed on your system, click the "Settings..." button.

Now, the touchpad configuration window will appear.

Use this to configure your touchpad to work the way you want, there are lots of settings and videos on how to use them in this dialog, so feel free to explore.

If you want to disable pinch-to-zoom, you can do it by navigating to the "Pointer Motion -> Pinch" category or Zooming category (depending on the version of your driver).

Once you've got to the Zooming / Pinch Zoom option, simply uncheck it and click OK to disable pinch zoom.

Other settings, such as sensitivity, can be found here. Basically, every option relating to the operation of your touchpad can be found in this configuration tool. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
Honor Student
vasheck
Message 3 of 11 (23,030 Views)

thanks muka3D, I will give it a try and post results!

Thanks again!

Honor Student
vcrdl
Message 4 of 11 (20,615 Views)

I agree!  That is an EXTREMELY ANNOYING feature.  I would suggest that you default the laptop to have that totally disabled.  That is certainly not helping the user.

Honor Student
vcrdl
Message 5 of 11 (20,610 Views)

Hello,
I watched the video, and would like to be able to use my thumb and index finger to zoom and un-zoom.  Sometimes I am just typing and not using my thumb to pinch zoom and the page just seems to zoom.  Do you know what is causing that when that happens?  That is the annoying feature, not the regular pinch zoom when you are using your thumb.

Thanks

Student
hobbesmommy
Message 6 of 11 (19,693 Views)

thank you for this information--i was successful in disabling the touch-screen zoom feature, which was incredibly annoying to have constantly happen when I wasn't trying to zoom.  following your tips helped, but i had to access the mouse by typing in "mouse" in the search part of the start section.  anyway, it worked!!!

Student
Ledicarus
Message 7 of 11 (15,527 Views)

THANK YOU!!!! I was about to never buy another HP product again if there wasn't a way to stop that zoom-text feature. I understand it's usefulness with others but with me it was a complete annoyance and frustrated me often.

Master's Graduate
muka3D
Message 8 of 11 (15,522 Views)

Glad it worked out for you!

___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
Honor Student
gobel
Message 9 of 11 (10,497 Views)

I followed your instructions to disable the gestures on the touch pad and found the settings window but all i have to chose from is "overview" and "buttons". There are no buttons to selct to disable or change settings. This is a HP ProBook 6570b.

Honor Student
gobel
Message 10 of 11 (10,494 Views)

Never mind. I found the problem (operator error)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation