Question

Honor Student
Tbab
Message 1 of 6 (3,089 Views)

hp BD ROM BC-5550H SATA CdRom Device - issue - not functioning

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled.  An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Drivers Installed:
cdrom.sys
GEARAspiWDM.sys

I have attempted to uninstall the driver (control panel - device manager) and rebooted the system twice.  I have had the computer for a single day and it was working.  Roxio Creator XE 8.2 was attempted to be installed and tnen I uninstalled it when it did not work when I ran the program.  I also attempted 'roll-back' but it stated that the roll-back was not possible.

I cannot run the CD/DVD drive - if is recoginzed in the hardware manager - but I can not get it to work - my hardware reflects the issue triangle but nothing I have tried has resolved it.  Please advise what I need to do to get the optical drive working properly.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (3,076 Views)

Re: hp BD ROM BC-5550H SATA CdRom Device - issue - not functioning

Hi,

First of all, completely uninstall itunes and when done, restart the notebook.

Next, run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

Check if the drive is now working.

If it still doesn't work, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Tbab
Message 3 of 6 (3,073 Views)

all steps taken. scan identified no irregularities.  Still get the same error:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled.  An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (3,072 Views)

Hi,

This error is very often caused by other software conflicting with the CD/DVD driver supplied by Windows.

Did itunes uninstall Ok?

Can you let me know if you have any other CD/DVD burning software installed on the notebook - ie Nero, Roxio,  etc.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
destinie_6ca
Message 5 of 6 (2,127 Views)

I just started to get this error....

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

On the device status of the hp BD ROM.

Have tried Microsoft fixit

Have tried uninstall and reinstall

Nothing seems to make a difference.

Student
psydKick
Message 6 of 6 (198 Views)

I had the same problem on my new HP Pavilion dv6 - couldn't see/install the bluray dvd drive

Here is the fix

Step 1:

Uninstall and reinstall CD/DVD drivers:

Go to the Device Manager by :
1. Please go to Start, in the search field please type Device Manager 2. Now Device Manager will be listed above. 3. Please select that and device manager will open.

OR

Press Windows Key + R key, In Run please type devmgmt.msc and press enter.Device manager will open.

Now

Right click on the CD/DVD and select uninstall.Select OK.
Restart the Notebook.

After Restarting the Notebook Perform the Step 2.

Step 2:

Clearing upper and lower registry filters

1.Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.
2.Click Start , and enter "regedit" into the Start Search field.
The registry editor window appears.
3. Select Computer in the main window.
4. Click File, Export, type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save.
A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
5. Click the plus sign ( +) next to the following items in the list:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE h
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
6. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
7. Select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.
8. If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.
9. Delete all other UpperFilter and LowerFilter values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if they exist.
10. Close the registry editor and restart the computer. The disc drive should now be recognized by Windows.
restart the Notebook.

Step 3:

BIOS RESET

1. Click Start, Shut Down, and then click Restart.
2. When the HP logo appears, press the F10 key to enter BIOS configuration utility.
3. Press F9 to load the setup defaults.
4. When changes are finished, Save and > Restart the notebook.
5. Press Enter to confirm and restart the notebook.

If the issue persists, please contact us by visiting the following Web site. We will be glad to assist you further.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/chat_1.html

or

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pa ... g=en&cc=us

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation