Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My computer:

Model: Pavilion dv6 that is just under a year old.

CD/DVD: hp CDDVDW SN-208HH HH01 Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514 6/21/2006

The Problem:

First started when I tried to create recovery discs when I got my laptop. It would burn the first dvd then when it went to check it, it would fail the tests. Never got any made...

The other problem which has also been happening since I got my laptop is that it has trouble reading certain CD/DVD's.

Problem 1:

This happens for any DVD I play. I load it up in Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.17514

When I hit play, DVD playback is choppy, and my DVD player makes a skipping/searching noise. I hit menu, then play again, then the DVD plays like normal. This happens on EVERY DVD I play. I would relate this as an issue with Windows Media Player, but see Problem #2 for why I did not.

Problem 2:

Certain CD's or DVD's are nearly unreadable. Clean, brand new discs included. For example, last night I tried to install a game, and the DVD drive emitted the same sound as when I am trying to watch a DVD in Media Player. While it is doing this, everything went so slow that the game could not install. I then copied the contents of the DVD to a folder on my computer, and it did the same thing, taking over 40 minutes to transfer 2.4gb of data from the DVD. I ran the installation from there and it ran fine with no hang ups so the files can not be corrupt.

DVD movies I can always get to work like I explained above, but the not being able to install software off of a DVD is even more annoying. I have looked everywhere for anyone with the same problem and have looked for updated drivers with no luck.

Any help or tips will be much appreciated, Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
Hello kjk8000. It sounds like your CD/DVD drive is having trouble reading discs. This is most likely a hardware issue with the optical drive and I suggest you go ahead and contact HP Support directly since the notebook is under a year old.

You can check the status of your warranty here.

If you're in the US or Canada you can call them at 1-800-474-6836. If you're in another area you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your country's contact information.

Have a great day!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi, to all

We need the driver for the HP cddvdw sn-208bb.

\Best regards

HP Recommended

Hello daouda,

To ensure we give you the correct links to any drivers for your notebook, we will need the full model name and number of the notebook that you have.

I look forward to your response.

Also, what drivers are you looking for?

THX

HP Recommended

I have the same drive in my notebook and same driver and firmware...seems there is no new version that I can find..

HP Recommended

on my laptop, the DVD icon on computer does not appear hp cddvdw sn-208bb hh01 on dv6.

HP Recommended

Hello projects1980,

Your CD drive is not showing up on your computer.

Go to device manager and uninstall the CD drive. Restart the computer.

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the CD drive.

Here is a link to device manager.

Also you can clear the upper and lower registry values. (Filters)

Occasionally as you play Cd's information is stored in files that can cause the drive to stop working correctly.

Here is a link that will walk you through the steps to clear the filters.

Only remove the items that the steps show.

If it has not been to long since the problem started, you can run a system restore.

This will take the system back to when everything was working correctly without affecting your personal files.

Here is a link on how to do a restore.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
Hello,

my disc drive do not recognise dvds. What can I do?

HP Pavilion dv6-6c45eg
HP Recommended

So !! what is the solution for this problem i have the same too with my dv6-6c61se !!

HP Recommended

I think we need a new firmware

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.