hp dv6000 USB device not recognized..why??? (7654 Views)
Honor Student
outofoptions
Message 1 of 7 (7,654 Views)

hp dv6000 USB device not recognized..why???

I have an hp dv6119us and every usb device i have that i plug in it tells me USB device not recognized...i am outofoptions options..Seriously .I have done everything .I am not an expert but i know how to follow instructions.I have updated the bios ..Did the usb stack thing..Did the registry thing...All but reinstall the os..which i have read wont help..Am i the only one with this problem???..I have also read about the dv6**** mother board issues.But this doesnt fall under that umbrella..ssooo..I feel like i am outofoptions...you never know how much you depend on USB till its gone!!... any suggestions are welcomed

winxp sp3
amd turion 64 x 2
1gb ram

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (7,637 Views)

Re: hp dv6000 USB device not recognized..why???

actually dead usb ports ARE a possible symptom of the failing motherboard so common to that series.

Honor Student
outofoptions
Message 3 of 7 (7,627 Views)

Thanks hunter ..I was thinking driver or something software related as I have also done the chipset ..Really..so the m/b is looking the grim reaper in the face huh.. ..it still charges devices like the blackberry...though..that is so weird to me..
Tutor
paul_taylor
Message 4 of 7 (7,602 Views)

I too have a HP with USB port problems - mine are of two types - the persistent one (ie I can't solve it) is an unknown USB devise which is windows thinks is there but is not.

Another problem I hava had & solved is "Dead" USB ports. I solved this by unplugging device & removing all cables for 5 minutes & then re-plugging all cables & magically all USBs can back to life. In my case I had to unistall the roots in windows safe mode & reboot.

Let me know if it works?

Paul

PS. if anyone out there can solve my problem please reply.

Student
GF0171
Message 5 of 7 (7,422 Views)

I'm definitely not an expert, but on one of the other forums here in HP I found someone who suggested removing the battery for a few minutes.  It seems there is a capacitor someplace that doesn't drain off.  I have a pavilion dv7 1150us and this morning after an HP update downloaded my USB ports didn't work, but they were fine just before the download.  I followed the suggestion on removing the battery and "poof" the USB's are working again.  How long I don't know, but the're fine now.

Tutor
1CSmyers
Message 6 of 7 (6,013 Views)

Oh, THANK YOU!!! I just spent a half-dozen hours over three days trying to get my "USB device recognized," and driving myself crazy. I removed the battery for a moment, put it back in, inserted my wireless mouse USB part, and it WORKS!!!!! Bless you.

Student
JY11223
Message 7 of 7 (2,059 Views)

I have tired that....but doesn't work and HP support can't help with this problem at all. If someone know how to fix it, please HELP!!! Much appreciate it!!! Thanks!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation