Question

Student
Green_gecko17
Message 1 of 4 (10,263 Views)

hp elitebook 2730p touchpad not working

Hi guys,

I was using my hp elitebook 2730p as usual, turned it off for a while and when I came back to it the touchpad wasn't working, even an external USB mouse won't work. I tried installing new drivers for the touchpad but it says installation failed and in the control panel > mouse menu it says the "device is unable to start" any help will be appreciated as I've no idea why this has happened, it's running windows 7 64bit proffesional
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (10,233 Views)

Re: hp elitebook 2730p touchpad not working

Hey Green_Gecko17,

If your notebook is still acting like a four year old with a stubborn streak, (and the TouchPad will not work), you could try a Hard Reset:

Hard Reset:

Sometimes all you need to do is kick the computer.  This method works for a variety of connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note: You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out.  If you like, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

I hope this helps!

Say “Thanks!” for the Help by clicking the Kudos Star on the Left

Did this solution fix your problem?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution”!

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
bnsmart
Message 3 of 4 (9,991 Views)

Dragon Fur, your solution worked for me.  Thanks for the easy and detailed description.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (9,981 Views)

Bnsmart, You are welcome! Keep this "fix" in mind for other occasional odd "hangs" and stubborn bits. The point of the hard reset is the obvious -- to reset the hardware. The hard reset forces a reinitialization of the drivers for each of the connected hardware devices, like webcams and fingerprinters... Assuming the driver (software) and the hardware are "OK" (in good repair and up to date), sometimes they just need to the equivalent of a good kick to get them working again. Smiling.
Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation