Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am now willing to upgrade my RAM from 1gb (2x512mb) provided as in initial configuration to 2.5gb (1x2gb + 1x512mb).

The clock speed provided in the existing RAM is 667MHz and the 2gb RAM that I am willing to upgrade with is of 800MHz frequency.

Will there be any problem with this upgrade? Like two different frequencies of RAM.

If yes then can I use only 2gb of 800MHz frequency RAM? Will there be some problem with the mother board - like is MotherBoard Synced for particular frequency?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Either 667 or 800 will work...800 is probably a bit easier to find now...just make sure you install 2 identical modules. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Usually ddr2-800 will downclock but you may have a bigger problem. Some of the dv2000s will only accept 2 gigs total RAM which means no single stick bigger than 1 gb. You would be better off to install 2 x 1 gig modules because that will 100% work and you will have dual channel memory access which is faster. 2 gigs in dual channel will be better  than 2.5 gigs in single channel, assuming you can even get 2.5 to work. We need the exact model number. Even the ones that are supposed to only be able to take 2 gigs total will sometimes work with a 2 gig module it is just a bit of a gamble. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.

So I should use 1gb RAM per slot to make the promt use of the same.

RAM for what frequency will be benificial/best for me, as you said 800MHz will downclock .

HP Recommended

Either 667 or 800 will work...800 is probably a bit easier to find now...just make sure you install 2 identical modules. 

HP Recommended
800 should make it work faster Right?
HP Recommended

No 800 will run at 667 speed. Sorry. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.