Question

Top Student
mrpatmcgroin
Message 1 of 9 (9,253 Views)

hp pavilion dv4-1225dx getting really hot

ive been feeling my laptop get really hot the past few weeks... when it gets hotter ive just been turning it off but im starting to get worried somethings gonna fry. 

the heat seems to be coming from the hard drive. the heat can be felt on the area just to the left of the touchpad and up to the keyboard. i can feel the heat coming through the last row of keys. the bottom is also extremely hot way more than the top and in the area that says "hp protect smart" which i think is where the hard drive is. 

just downloaded everest and the temperature is running at 70 C / 158 F. 

i havent changed anything on my machine and am wondering where the heck this is coming from and why. ive barely had the laptop over a year and this problem started maybe a month ago. 

what can i do? there doesnt seem to be dust in the fans from what i can tell from the outside, but maybe i should take it apart and clean it anyway? 

anyone got any ideas?

Top Student
mrpatmcgroin
Message 2 of 9 (9,240 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv4-1225dx getting really hot

just took off that bottom panel where it was the hottest and it is indeed the hard drive. wtf?

i dont even know what to do. 

Intern
JRGibbs1990
Message 3 of 9 (9,216 Views)

What is the the harddrives exact temp?, harddrives don't normally generate much heat on there own its likely its being heated up by other components the cpu & gpu, clean out the fan and heatsink if they havn't been cleaned out in all that time they are likely to be clogged up.
Student
cozzoli
Message 4 of 9 (9,177 Views)

Mine, too! Very hot on the left side and also the left keys. Why is this??

Top Student
mrpatmcgroin
Message 5 of 9 (8,913 Views)

just as an update, i ended up taking it into best buy (geek squad) because i have a 2 year service plan with them. they did a bios update and it seems to have somewhat fixed the problem. i no longer have the noisy fans (weird) and the temperature has gone down somewhat. it is still warmer than id like but i think im out of options here. probably will buy a laptop cooler soon. its also horrible that while searching for a fix myself to the heating issue, i couldnt find any hp documentation regarding a bios update possibly fixing this problem. i could of done the update myself instead. 

i gotta say though, the lack of support from hp is horrible. not only was this a problem that occured (conveniently) 2 weeks after the 1 year hp warranty ran out but now my left touchpad button is basically falling off too. i had another hp a few years back and the harddrive on that laptop died 1 week after the warranty ran out. how convenient for hp.

i am in serious doubts if i ever want another hp. 

Student
The_Creator
Message 6 of 9 (7,861 Views)

Same thing here. Is been a while that my machine overheats on the left side. i checked everything and it seems clean without any clogged ports. Also I dualbooted recently with fedora 14 because of my job and im getting error messages about the HHD having a lot of bad sectors and needs to be replaced. I will try updating the bios as you said and hopefully it will stop frying my leg when i put it on my lap to work on the train.

Tutor
Barde
Message 7 of 9 (7,841 Views)

Same problem here with a dv7. Only it is doing that basicly from day 1

I made a post here and they said to update the bios but that made it worse.

I think HP doesn't care their laptops are burning hot en won't do anything about it.

I think if I would do a stresstest it 'll melt (bought this laptop it in september) maby I shuold I do this...

Student
kkruse
Message 8 of 9 (6,282 Views)

First of all I know this is old thread but..... No ones answered this so for the record....

This hot zone is directly where the CPU is.

Video guide how to clean cpu fan (not for the technically challenged!!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xFM3pvABbg

I had problems where overheat = corrupt NTFS volume = reinstall and fail due to overheat.  Also when you do a restore from cds it runs the cpus wide open thus further making cpus hotter. 

All in all, I have had to rip apart this thing 2 times to clean heatsink. It has very tiny inlets its perfect for sucking up pet hair and then storing them inside your laptop!!!    2nd time i removed heatsink/heatpipe and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu side.  Did not have anything to replace the thermal tape so heres to hoping its good enough.

Student
Jazzyjen
Message 9 of 9 (3,480 Views)

What can I do regarding my hp pavion laptop getting extremely hot?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation