Question

Honor Student
414JG
Message 1 of 4 (8,762 Views)

hp pavilion dv4-2049us cpu not functional

Powered on successfully. Caps Lock and Number Lock LEDs blink once, meaning the CPU is not functional.

Replaced CPU with same make/model (AMD Athlon II M300) and have same error/problem.

Is this repairable or is it time for a new laptop?

PC support for the family
Student
Carlos_E_Feliz
Message 2 of 4 (8,714 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv4-2049us cpu not functional

From past experience, I think  you should attempt to replace the system. Before running to buy one, think of the price difference between a new system board and a new laptop and ask yourself it worth the time and money?.  Keep me posted on your decision.

Provost
Huffer
Message 3 of 4 (8,709 Views)

True CPU failures are comparatively rare. Motherboard failures are common. It is likely the motherboard, I agree. If you can install the board yourself it might be economical to do so. You can likely find one for around $100-200 and you could get another 3-4 years out of that laptop. The labor will eat you alive if you have to pay somebody else to do it, however.

Honor Student
414JG
Message 4 of 4 (8,651 Views)

thank you for your input.

with the prices of a new MB vs. Cyber monday laptop deals, the choice was made for a new laptop.

as much as i enjoy working on PCs, this was an easy choice.

the broken laptop was an 'exclusive' HP deal from Office Depot/Max or whatever, about 2.5 yrs ago, and i think the new make/model will be an improvement.

plus, i'll be the one setting up everything, and will be able to add/remove the necessary software, etc.

thanks again

PC support for the family
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation