hp pavilion dv6604nr (dv6000) turns on and off over and over! (20196 Views)
Tutor
cybris
Message 1 of 9 (20,196 Views)

hp pavilion dv6604nr (dv6000) turns on and off over and over!

Hi, I have an hp pavilion dv6000 laptop, more specifically dv6604nr, it worked fine for about a year and a half until now it wont boot up. It would get really hot and if I didnt power it down to let it cool down it would turn off by itself, which I think is to save itself from getting damaged. One day my brother was using it and he said the screen turned different colors and it froze. He booted it back up, but it would just turn on then off and on and off over and over until the battery and/or the power cable was unplugged. I can get it to boot if I take out the BIOS battery, I think is also called the "CMOS" battery, wait 5 mins, and put it back in. But once it goes into sleep/hibernate mode, or is turned off, it starts the cycle again. I have tried the following to try to fix it:

-reseat the memory

-reseat the BIOS/CMOS battery waiting 5 mins before putting it back in

-putting the laptop in the freezer for 3 hours and trying to boot it back up after it warms up for about 30 mins

-unplugging the power cord  and the battery and holding the power button down for about 30 seconds

-putting in a different battery

-updating BIOS

-updating NVIDIA graphics card

The only one than gets it to boot up is taking out the BIOS battery, the battery, and the power cord, waiting 5 mins and putting the BIOS battery and powercord back in. My laptop is not listed in the warranty service enhancement, please help!

Thanks!

Tutor
cybris
Message 2 of 9 (20,178 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv6604nr (dv6000) turns on and off over and over!

Can someone please help?  I have posted about this before, but still not solution!

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 9 (20,166 Views)

[ Edited ]

You might talk to the one of the guys here>>Nvidia GPU Repair

-----------------------------------
Nvidia GPU Repair

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
alphazero
Message 4 of 9 (20,014 Views)

I have the same exact problem with the same model. Most of the time it cycles, but if you press ESC a few times as it trys to boot,  it will boot up. I know its not a solution, but I've had several computer repair places look at it with no sucess. I also tried flashing the BIOS downgrading to XP.... everything. 

The first time I had problems my sound drivers dissapeared and the quickplay buttons stopped working completely, additionally my cooling fan would cycle erratically over and over. I think this has to be a hardward problem.

You might want to be carefull about the battery getting too hot, there is a recal on them due to fire hazards and safety concerns as well. Dont keep your laptop in your lap!!!

I am looking forward to seeing any solutions as well. It seems we have tried everything.

Good luck.

Honor Student
mjouineau
Message 5 of 9 (19,956 Views)

I am currently having the same difficulties, I tried the escape thing and it got me as far as the Hp invent screen.

Tried the escape thing again and it worked. Hoping that an actual solution will pop up as while I am under warranty still, its currently midterm season, and I can't afford to not have my laptop.

Student
Lisasc
Message 6 of 9 (18,861 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I tried all of the solutions listed....reseated the bios battery and finally got the computer to boot up, but can't get it to do anything else.  I HATE this computer.  Is there any hope for it?  And if not, can someone recommend a good NOT HP laptop? 

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 9 (18,854 Views)

@Lisasc

Several members have used this repair service with good results reported:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260595095107

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Dangvm89
Message 8 of 9 (18,110 Views)

Hey cybris. I recently experience this problem with my dv6707us hp laptop.

This was a 4 year old laptop and happened when I was exporting the laptop to the display of my tv. The laptop monitor went black while display lots of pixelation. I tried booting it up again but all it would do was turn on and off unless I removed the CMOS battery (I dont have a laptop battery) and the AC plug.

I solved this problem by disassembling the laptop using this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdmGuiq1l8&feature=youtube_gdata_player. But there are plenty others. After disassembling it I had access to the motherboard and took off the main heatsink for both the CPU and gpu. I cleaned off the old thermal paste on the CPU and cleaned the heatsink and fan as much as possible.

For the gpu I applied heat using a heat gun for about a minute or so using low level heat for 45 secs and high heat for 15 secs. I let it cool and put the heatsink back on with new thermal paste and tested it.

I did this yesterday and it's still working like it's supposed to. I will keep you guys posted.
Tutor
Rebootitdotbiz
Message 9 of 9 (15,722 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for recommending our company we have DIY videos on Youtube to help you fix these video issues and they are step by step.  We have all our repairs videos on our website   http://www.mixcatcomputers.com

We are also avail on the phone for questions, we have helped thousands of people get their laptops working again like new.

The office phone number is   321-332-0710 

If your in the Kissimmee Area by Disney come on in and say HI

All the best,

-Pete

Mixcat Computers

Need Help fixing your HP Laptop?
Check out our step by step guides FREE
http://www.mixcatcomputers.com
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation